Best way to archive rcording sessions?

aberyClark

ere's my plan. let me know if this is a sound procedure. All my sessions were done with Logic (plus some early Protools 5 and 6 sessions) with various plugs. I backed up the entire session folder (which has all the files, data, etc) to DVD as it sits on my external HD. I used Apple Back-up utility. Most sessions use 2 DVDs (around 7 gig +). I will then open each session and Bounce each individual track (24 bit .aiff). Each track will begin and end at same point. I will bounce the tracks "Dry" panned dead center with volume levels close to zero db to avoid clipping. The only effects or plugs that will bounce with track will only be very critical ones (like guitar amp effect, midi sounds, etc). No reverb, compression, eq will go on bounced tracks. On the tracks that are bounced with effects, I will also bounce a pure "dry" version as well. I will then also copy raw midi data into a folder as well. I want to do all the bouncing so if I ever need to remix, etcc...The tracks can be loaded into any DAW. I will have 2 backups of the actual sessions (like they are on my HD) and 2 cd's containing raw tracks converted to audio. Each track will be carefully named. I will keep one set of back ups in my house and then store the second set in my safe deposite box (bank). Of course, I will have the files on my external drive as well. As I get a larger drive, I will copy old drive onto larger drive and then store older drive. Basically I'll have three distinct versions of my tracks. I already have various backed up copies of finished masters. Any more advice or info would greatly be appreciated.

Sounds like you got all the angles covered. I just backup sessons and the bounced files on to DVD. I Give a copy to the band and keep a copy archived in my collection. Really it is the bands responsibilty to keep their masters safe. I keep a copy just in case. Seems like your spending too much money (hard drives, safe deposit box, ect..)but, thats your call. What ever it takes to make you feel comfortable. That is my opinion. If it your personal recordings, then definatly you are doing the right thing!

Back