Best way to archive D824 projects?

HFFritz

OK, so now I'm digital with the D824, but what is the best way to archive my projects? The Fostex CD burner and their DAT recorder both do the job, but in reading the manual it looks as though these will not work at the 24 bit/96 kHz fidelity. An external ZIP drive seems to be the way to go, has anyone out there tried it?

The Iomega ZIP drive holds approximately 2 GB, so this method could get expensive. Having come from the cassette world (where everything was cheap and easy) and being a bit apprehensive toward Iomega products (which used to be great) and their longevity, I wonder if there is a better method around the corner if I were to wait a couple of months. Maybe a Fostex DVD burner is in the works?

For now, since hard drives are so cheap, I'm tempted just to buy several 30GB's, label them and reference the drives in the recording charts. Otherwise, I can record at 16 bit/44.1 kHz and archive to the Fostex CD burner, which would be great, but the 24/96 capability goes to waste.

Anyone else out there having this issue?

I chose a different route. I fly the tracks down to Cubase (via ADAT lightpipe and a Hammerfall), and then back the data up from there. I can also edit and play with it there, and then fly it back up to the Fostex also via lightpipe.

The Jaz route gets expensive- but I have my DAW on my home ethernet, and the disk on the DAW gets backed up nightly to another disk in the farm, and monthly onto 8mm Exabyte tape. SO if you can get the data onto a DAW, you can use whatever your normal backup methods would be.

Using multiple SCSI drives as backup is also a viable alternative- they really are pretty cheap these days. The SCSI support int the Fostex machines really is pretty minimal: you can tell it was an afterthought.

Back