Best way to add bass

Thanks. The midi thing interests me. Prepare for another couple of really naive newbie questions.

I can read and write music. If I buy Logic is there a way of me writing a midi bass part in notation and adding it to an effect in Logic which would get round this issue?

Alternatively, i have a Roland electric piano which I believe can record midi files ( though I've never even tried this ) and I'm wondering if it would be easy to play the bass on that, and record as a midi track, put it into Logic and then use whatever bass amp sound I want. What do you say?

I know how to play a bass but I have hand issues which flare up and Im concerned the bass might aggravate this, hence me showing apprehension around the bass thing.

F.O.R.K! You have now "discovered" MIDI but have bought a 2i2! Ok, you can buy a MIDI to USB converter for $20 or so but I have read of problems with them in the past. Someone here has surely got a good 'un?

The Roland piano might be an answer (might even be a full blown MIDI interface. Model please) in that often they have a built in sequencer, basically a MIDI recorder. You get your tune right, save it then dump the data across to PC via USB.

"Such Fun!"

Dave

Hi. The Roland HP 504 is the piano I have.

I thought about MIDI after buying the 2i2 but the software I'm talking about should work after the interface has done it's ermm interfacing should it not?

If I was to plug eg a keyboard into the computer would I need it to go through the interface via a MIDI converter or could I stick it into a USB port and record it in Logic that way ignoring the 2i2 for that track?

Hi. The Roland HP 504 is the piano I have.

I thought about MIDI after buying the 2i2 but the software I'm talking about should work after the interface has done it's ermm interfacing should it not?

If I was to plug eg a keyboard into the computer would I need it to go through the interface via a MIDI converter or could I stick it into a USB port and record it in Logic that way ignoring the 2i2 for that track?

Nice Joe! It does not have MIDI ports AFAICT but it seems to do everything else! You can record MIDI data to a USB stick (and audio) and thus plug that into the computer and run it in software.
You can certainly send MIDI data via USB to the PC, whether you can play the DAW software, i.e. bass, in real time from the piano I don't know. (also look in the Roland manual for "local off").

Take some time to explore the possibilities of the PC/piano combination, looks very versatile. You might need to download some drivers from Roland.

Dave.

Man, this is a complicated business when you don't know what you're doing :eek:

Am I right in believing the software option from Midi Guitar from Jam Audio might do the trick for me? I won't be able to try it until next week as I'm away from home until Monday.

I've found called "Midi guitar" by Jam Origin which apparently will let me record MIDI with my guitar and put it down an octave.

This software will convert you audio to midi, and yes, you can step it down an octave, but you still need a sound generator for the midi to trigger sounds with. The guitar itself will not create the audio you are looking for and you won't get any sound without a sound source. You would basically be replacing the keyboard with a guitar; midi data, but no sounds. Since you already have the Roland, just download the Proteus VSTi I linked above. It has several bass patches. You should be able to find something usable and it's free. Plug the Roland into your computer through the USB port, connect through logic, load in the Proteus VSTi and you going.

But for real, if you're thinking of spending $100 on software, just buy a bass. You can find a decent used bass for that amount.

Thanks Chili. Yeah I'm getting a bit lost in tech here. I will try the Proteus with the Roland when I get back. Will that plug - in work with Macs all right? I suspect there must be a mac version somewhere but I haven't found it yet. The link from your thread only says windows

I am likely to borrow a bass next week too, to find out how I get on, but the only thing I've started to worry about it that I have some tendonitis ( why i don't play in bands anymore ) and I was told a bass would possibly be worse for that.

Oh Sorry, I guess it is not available for Mac. You can google for a free Bass VSTi (not VST). There are some out there that can be driven by midi.

Not sure what to do about the tendonitis. I had arthritis in my fingers, but has gotten better in the last couple of years and it does not affect my playing now. When it did, I just worked through the pain. :o

"I am likely to borrow a bass next week too, to find out how I get on, but the only thing I've started to worry about it that I have some tendonitis ( why i don't play in bands anymore ) and I was told a bass would possibly be worse for that. " (won't quote the complete post,,,again! Got to do it this ^ way)

As an (very!) ex bass player I can tell you that it is much easier than a sixer, assuming you don't want to emulate Tal wink'! The action is much easier on the left hand or can be made so since for recording you might not need to pluck the cluck out of it.

As for the tendonitis? Yes bass needs you to stretch, could be a good thing but, WTGR to our esteemed mod, get medical advice before pressing ahead in agony!
I live with sciatica and have evolved a regime of exercise and rest that keeps it at bay but then doc has told me I won't do any damage.

As for a cheap bass? Yes, I picked up a plywood "Precision" years ago for £65. Shimmed the neck and it plays pretty well.

Dave.

Thanks guys. I'm pleased to hear the bass might be easier fretting - wise. Stretching could be an issue but I will be able to take it in small chunks I guess. Not like playing for 90 mins without a break.

I doubt I will be summoned by Mr Beck to replace her anytime soon so will stick to bassics ;) Har de har har! Geddit! :facepalm:

Back