Best Way To Add A Compressor into Set Up

Rich b

Hi there,

I want to add a compressor into my set up for doing radio shows and just wondered what the best way to do it is.

I have a mixer which has phantom power and so my condenser mic will be on one channel. Another channel will have the music coming from my external decks and mixer etc. Then I'll be coming out of the mixer's main out into the sound card ( into the computer)

I've read that one way would be to come out of the compressor into the "line in" of the mic channel. But i guess like that, only the mic will have compression.

If I wanted everything to have compression, I'd have to put the compressor between the mixer and the soundcard right? If so, what would be the best way of connecting it?

In your opinion, would it be better just to have compression on the mic or both mic and music?

Any help would be great.
Thanks a lot!

If we knew the actual gear you're using we could offer more specific advice.

A good way to use a compressor in that situation would be separate compression, one channel on the mic's insert and a stereo linked compressor on the music. If the music is stereo that would be three channels of compression. Even better would be to have another stereo compressor on the output of the mixer.

If you have only one stereo compressor (and the playback is stereo) I would use one channel on the mic's insert and control the playback by hand. If the playback is mono then I'd use the other channel there, with the two compressor channels unlinked. Then again, if your mic technique is extremely good you could put the compressor after the mixer as suggested by ido1957, with the channels linked.

Back