Best Vocal Preamp for Pop/Rock

farewellending

I am looking for a fantastic vocal preamp for my studio. I am torn between the API lunchbox with one API 512c and the Universal Audio LA-610. I would be using the preamp on guitars as well but nothing else. I need it to have a larger than life vocal sound that has a very "warm" and "3-d" quality about it. The vocal microphone I am using is a Blue Dragonfly which I am extremely happy about. Thanks.

-Tom

I need it to have a larger than life vocal sound that has a very "warm" and "3-d" quality about it.
Don't we all... but you can't buy that, you can just buy into the hype...

But of the two you've listed my vote goes with the UA... unless you're planning on more pre amps later, then the lunch-box form factor would steer me to the API... pretty much a toss up until you hear them

Amen to that! I just want to make the right decision. I think the UA would be better for me because I am planning on buying a sound workshop board soon enough.

If you're going the lunchbox route, DO NOT overlook the Avedis ma5. It's a fabulous vocal pre, and sounds great on acoustic guitar as well. It's our go to vocal preamp. If you like your vocals rich and creamy look at the ma5. If I were you, I'd contact Vintage King and have them send you a few to try, then keep the one you like the best.

I vote for the Great River Me-1nv. It's very versatile, has a bigness, a 3-d quality and can get warmth and can even get a little gritty if you intentionally push it and tweak the buttons. It can also be fairly transparent. The API is a little more in your face and aggressive but but, IMO, seems a little too edgy at times. It's great on the drums (if you have two) and edgy for rock vocals but I personally don't think it warms things up. It makes them punchier.

I have Jensen Twin Servo and it's very special. John Hardy fixed it for free over a decade out of warranty - you don't get better service than that. I've used the Summit pre (the large one) and it's a very nice one. The Summit stuff has a very good sound to my ears.

I haven't tried the Seventh Circle Audio kits but I'm interested in them. If they are as they say, and all my research indicates they are, then they probably the best value in pre's I know of.

The 1/2 rack Summit pre's might be worth looking at. One of those plus their 1/2 rack tube compressor might be a great front end at a pretty low price.

I own and love two 512C in a lunchbox. I have tried a UA SOLO 610 on vocals and acoustic guitars but I prefer my API. Having said that, it would pretty much a decision based on taste as both are great Preamps.

This is kind of like asking, which is better, vanilla or strawberry ice cream?

The API pres are great. Lots of records in the 70s and 80s were made with just API pres as those were all there were in the board.

Other considerations are the Great River and the Avedis pres (similar coloration IMHO).

I also really like the A-Designs Pacifica/P1 pres for an all purpose pre.

Lord knows there are enough boutique pres out there these days that you could spend an inordinate amount of time just trying them out and coming to no definitive conclusion as to which is "best" as pres trend to be more nuanced in their sound differences than microphones. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the pres mentioned so far. Besides, why stop at only one anyway?

Back