Best vocal mic under $100

thepentium

Hey all

I'm going to be purchasing a vocal mic here pretty soon and I was wondering what would be the best one for my money. Ive been looking at a Sennheiser E835, SM58, and SM57. That being said, I plan to use it for micing a guitar cab once in a while. What would be the best mic for that purpose? I sing some rock vocals but most of the time its contemporary, slow and tremolo-ey.

If you know of a better mic feel free to suggest it!

I picked up a Beyer M-69 off ebay for about 60 bucks once.

Use it occasionally. Doesn't suck too bad. Probably better than a 57 or a 58. Pretty excellent snare mic, in fact. Electrovoice RE-15's and 16's usually go for around $120 to 150, I believe ... but if you can score one of those, then you've got a vocal mic that can hang with the $1,000 + stuff in most instances.

Actually, if you can score an Oktava MC012 for $100 or less, just stick a really strong pop-filter in front of it, and you've got a very capable, sometimes even great, vocal mic. If you can get past how silly it looks singing in to a SDC. :D

There's also the mxl 991 and the Studio Projects B-1 and a whole bunch of other cheapo Chinese crap that can sometimes sound okay.

Sorry I didn't give you the assist, Kenny. :D I'm feeling nice today. The coffee was really good this morning.

Back