best tube overdrive/dist. pedal?

If you want to get a crunchy sound, nothing beats mesa boogies V-twin preamp-pedal. Don't really like the high gain channel however, and you cannot adjust the levels of the channels independently. But the crunch. Aaahh...

The clean channel is also very nice to 'fill up' your sound. Adds a little tube-sweetness to the sound. No matter how good your sound is, it always gets better... Hughes 'n Kettner have got a pedal to do this too. Also very nice. But that crunchy sound. Wowie zowie.... Oeh. I'd keep that pedal even if I sold all my guitars and amps...

ibanez TS-9. i've tried tons of stomp boxes and rack units, but i keep using my old beat up TS-9. warm, fat overdrive but it still has the punch when you need it. and it's ugly - always a good sign.

micmac

ooops...

...Aquanaut, i should've read your post more carefully. of course the TS-9 doesn't have any tubes... sorry about that. but it still sounds good even after some guitarhockey on stage...

micmac

BEST TUBE PEDAL

WHENI HAD MY SOLID-STATE MARSHALL MG100RCD HEAD A 4X12 CAB,I DIDN'T LIKE THE SOLID STATE SOUND,SO I BOUGHT A "TUBE WORKS"BLACK BOX(901)AND PUT A GROOVE TUBES 12AUX7 TUBE IN IT AND IT TURNED MY SOLID-STATE HEAD INTO A TUBE HEAD...SOUNDS REALLY GOOD!!!UNFORTUNATELY I DID EXPIERENCE RADIO FREQUENCY NOISE,DEPENDING ON WHERE THE PEDAL WAS PLACED.I ALSO HOOKED THE PEDAL UP TO A MARSHALL MICRO-STACK,AND IT SOUNDED BETTER THAN A VALVESTAE AMP!THE 12AUX7 GAVE A SWEET,CRUNCHY OVERDRIVEN TONE,THAT OF A "SOLDANO SLO 100...TRY IT!

Love my GT-3 for what it is. $380.00...that's 4 pedals easy & Boss packs every effect they make in this unit!!! I plug in stereo into anything & it sounds great...for what it is. Metal, country, jazz, WARM TUBES...it's there. Just tweak & play. Saw one on ebay or order it from a catalog, if you don't like, send it back w/ in 45 days, 100% money back gaurantee.

nicolaad30 said:
Does anybody knows what's the big deal between the RAT and the TURBO.RAT... seems that lots of people rather the rat thant the turborat... why??... :confused:

Because they are completely different sounds.

...that and the original is the original.

Wow, a revived 5 year old thread.

And check ProCo's site for info on the Rats (and sound samples). I have the Rat 2 and think it has the most natural sound to it. The best blend of overdrive, distortion, and fuzz. I've heard it's really nice with a TS-9/808 in front of it, but haven't personally tried that yet.

Just cranking a simple tube pre into my marshall superbass.
Why use a pedal when you don't have to?
Oh, On/Off if you can't reach I suppose.
Cheers
rayC

Back