Best tone

I'm gonna break my own rule here, cuz I just can't shut up abou this one! Pearl Jam is the worst band to ever get a deal. Shows how lost music was back then. Not only can they not sell any albums now, but if they were unknown (like the should be) they would never get a deal today.

Eddie's words.
"..we don't care about selling records. We just make art and if it's good art it will sell."

OK, lets see some good art PLEASE! ...and it's a good thing you don't care about selling records...

This sin't really the place for it because it doesn't really involve tone, but guess who's touring with Pearl Jam this summer.

Sleater-Kinney.

The Indie trio from the olympia based Kill Rock Stars label now i still like KRS, Slim Moon is a lo fi genius, but the only hope left for Sleater Kinney would be if they lived up to the "family" name and finished them off.

Now dont get me wrong, I dont like Pearl Jam so I wasnt defending them as a band, I just think that their tone was pretty good. I have never understood people fascination with Nirvana??? Kurt Cobain took the easy way out and killed himself. It was a bunch of noise to me. If you are in a job, and I dont care what it is, and all you do is complain about it....GET ANOTHER JOB!!! Kurt always whining about fame and rock-stardom...go be a garbage man then. That whole Seattle thing KILLED rock guitar for a while.

I have to admit I love Kurt, but that was the only band out of all that crap that I like. Music needed a big change when they came along...but Damn did all the rest of it suck! I agree that he took the easy way out, and I can't tell you how many times I yelled at him on the TV "shut the fuck up you ungrateful fuck!!!" Didn't care for him as a person I guess, but thought he was a great artist, and music was really lacking any of those at the time. (i.e. Poison, Warrant, Winger,).

This thread should of been titled "favorite guitar tones" not "best tones".... cuz everyone has a different opinion, as you can tell by the responses...

:)

Ths has gotten so ridiculous that I'm going to have to elaborate.

I THOUGHT that it would have pretty much been obvious that my post was a joke. I found both of these threads had such ridiculous answers (best & worse tone) that I posted my favorite tone in the worse tone thread and vice versa and nobody even noticed. I guess that there are so many people with such different tastes that GOOD tone is confused or ears distorted or I don't know what... You guys want to talk about good guitar tone... ok, here it is; I've only listed guitar tones that haven't been "retouched" almost at all during the mixing and mastering:

Jeff Beck in "Cause we ended as lovers" (the tone is incredible, the gain is just right and the note choice is beautiful... go find it, listen to it and learn)

Jim Matheos and Frank Aresti in the "Paralells" record (Incredibly raw, awesome guitar tone, go find it, listen and learn)

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith especially in the 7th son record (Not only the guitar tones are exquisite, but the mixing and mastering job of the album is great; get it, listen to it and learn)

Andy Timmons is another good example of great tone; his gain is just right and his attack is awesome.

Richie Kotzen's "Electric Joy" (This album aside from a palette of licks and incredible guitar playing has a variety of incredibly cool raw tones guitar tones; get it, listen and learn)

Steve Vai, especially in "for the love of god" or "touching tongues"

If you want to hear MY tone, go to the MP3 mixing clinic...

Carlos

carlosguardia said:
Jim Matheos and Frank Aresti in the "Paralells" record (Incredibly raw, awesome guitar tone, go find it, listen and learn)

Thats my favorite Fates Warning album...

Definitely awesome guitar tones...

Totally kickass!!

:)

Carlos....
...I got the joke. Couldn't take that list for real! Nobody would ever say CC without joking! hehe.

carlosguardia said:
Ths has gotten so ridiculous that I'm going to have to elaborate.

I THOUGHT that it would have pretty much been obvious that my post was a joke.

Whhhhhheeeeeeeewwwwww
Thank you for clarifying that for me Carlos. I like your last list SO much better!!!

what do you guys think of my tone??!!

Can any of you guys check out a couple of Mp3's that I posted in the MP3 Mixing Clinic and tell me what you think of my tone??!! I think it sounds (on the mp3's) pretty similar to what I sound like live. Any opinions?!

Carlos

Lyle workman was one of them...

coplinger said:
I also just recently was turned onto Frank Black's 'Teenager of the Year' cd. Although there are a few different guitarists on it, the guitar tones on the whole disc kick ass (as do the songs).

ok, I'll shut up now.

I got to see him in support of that tour in D.C. in '96. Lyle workman was a very good guitar player with good tone. Frank Black could write a good song now and again.

J-

Back