Best tone Strats or Les Pauls (opinions)

Jim Marquard

Well, I am a Strat fan (not fanatic) and I love mine. But I would love to get a LP Custom like Ace Frehley's or Peter Frampton's (I guess I love things with three). I could also heat this thread by adding a Telecaster to the debate. I don't play mine near as often as my Strat, but when I want a lead with teeth that hurt I get my Tele. I think it is the most underrated and misunderstood guitar in rock history.

Peace, Jim

P.S. Page's guitar sound is about as varied as his guitar collection. Listen to Stairway sometime and try to figure out how many and which guitar is used. Here's a hint: at least on Tele and (if memory serves me right)a 12-string Fender Strat. And yes, there are more than that on this one song.

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 06-28-2000).]

I can't afford a strat, so I'm a strat copy fan. Love the shape of a strat (copy), very comfortable to play. Never had a Gibson, but am very satisfied with what I've got.

Just an opinionated question.

I love Stratocasters, I own an American Deluxe that I play through a Tube screamer into an 4/10 tube amp. I get a super hollow, bell-like tone that reminds me of Hendrix (Watch tower)sound. If I could only play like him, I'd be in business.

I still love that Page, Les Paul/Marshall sound too, but that rig just isn't versitile enough for what I want.

Who's got an opinion?

Pils

I used to be a Gibson fanatic but now I can't get enough of my Strat. If you have a waa pedal try finding the tone "sweet spot" and leave it there ( don't waa waa). You get this real creamy sound. It makes me sooo happy.

Apples and oranges.

It's like asking, "Which is better, a Marshall stack or a blackface Super Reverb?"

Better for what? They each do their thing very well.

Myself, I need one of each. I have an American Strat that I love, and it does a lot of things really, really well, but it won't make a Les Paul sound. For that I'm currently using a hand-made early Washburn. It gets that fatter, humbucking sound.

I'd LOVE to have a Les Paul to compliment my Strat.

AND a black semi-hollow body Rickenbacher... and a 12-string version of the Rick... and a butterscotch Tele with a black pickguard... and a Gibson SG with P-90s... and a Martin D-28...

THEN we'd need some amps... start with a 1971 Marshall Super Lead, an early 60's AC-30 top boost and a blackface Super Reverb.

<sigh>

In spite of the great sounds that have come from Les Paul/Gibson style guitars down through the years,I feel that globally speaking,when you look at all the types of music that electric guitar can be used in(i.e.practically ALL types),the Strat has the edge on versatility AND expressiveness.I've been playing for 36 years and over time I've personally concluded that the single coil pickup with all it's foibles,is a more effective conduit for the player's nuances,and I also feel it's easier to record than Humbuckers.Cheers!

Jim-M

Your right man, tele's are great! Hard to beat for lead or rythme. Also a good point about Jimmy Page, he did frequent allot of other instruments. I Guess he's just who I think of first, when I think of LP's. I do think strats are allot more versitile though(IMHO).

CharlesThomas, Just wanted your opinion of which tone you prefer personally . As far as amps, I want an old Marshall Plexi, sitting right next to a Fender Bassman. Right now, I have a Peavey classic 50 4/10. I really like it, but lets face it, it doesn't come close to the amps you/I mentioned.

Pils

Here's an opinionated answer.

IMHO, it's easier to mimic a strat with a copy than to get LP tone from a copy, so I bought a LP and a Mexican Strat. I agree that both tones are desireable. I'd also like to have an ES 335 . . . a unique and pleasing tone. I haven't found a copy yet that can come close to the original.

Regards,
PAPicker

It's nice to have both if you can swing it. The LP is unbeatable for sustain and has a darker tone which is nice on some tunes. The Strat is extremely versatile and really screams.

I need both of 'em. If only someone would give me a Ricky 12-string now.

I play a strat (copy) and its pretty nice. it is very comfortable, and looks good too! (apart from the slightly distasteful light blue colour)
but in my opinion, the LP is much better. i find it is weighted alot better, and the smaller size i find easier to play...

Tim

When I play live and I'm up against another guitarist who is playing a Les Paul then I would prefer either having the same or an ES-335.

If I'm up against a strat I would go with the Tele for diversity.

If it's just me or I'm in the studio alone the strat would be my choice (or tele depending on the muscical style)

In the end however, my heart belongs to the tele and that primal sound they have. They can sound acoustic at lower tones and yet go the other way to that screaming tone on early Led Zep albumns. They are alot of work though to get the same sustain that a strat or les paul naturally have.

Back