best technique/sound for recording guitars

austexman

I am using sonar 2 with MAudio delta 66 omni studio (2 preamped i/o's for 1/4"
or xlr) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on obtaining best/cleanest guitar sound and where i should add effects.

I have a fender cybertwin amp with tons of preset effects (using gibson les paul)...should i run one xlr direct from amp to input and set up condensor mic
in front of amp and run that in the other input to get a fuller sound?

Should I use effects on amp or do it clean and then add effects with my plug
in effects (waves, soundforge, cakewalk effects)??

Thanks for any input guys!

austexman

I usually mic the amp, that way you get all the effects already in with your sound. And the clean sounds good too.

I feel the best way to go about this is mic your amp, but use a limited effects setting (delay, verb, chorus,etc) for recording. In other words record as dry as you can (leave in distortion). From there, add your effects in Sonar.

I've tried both ways and seem to get a crisper more definitive sound when I add effects after recording. It's all personal preference though.

The general rule-of-thumb with mic'ing guitar cabinets is to record them dry (no reverb, no effects). Processing can always be added later and tweaked until mixdown time. If the effect is integral to the sound and is difficult and/or impossible to add as an aux send or plugin, then record with the effect. In my younger days I was an effect junkie and always insisted that my cabinet be mic'd effects and all. Listening back to those sessions reveal a thin, washed out tone with no clarity or punch.

Record it dry - :-)

Thanks!

there are great suggestions!!...thanks alot...yeah...i think i have to agree recording it dry first and then using my plug-ins to add my effects is the way to go...it seems like i'm getting a better sound that way...it tends to muddy
it up the other way as i use phaser, delay, chorus stuff, etc..

thanks again!

Back