Best sub $400 Drum Over heads

xiwiwix

What are the best sub $400 Drum Over heads for recording?

Shure SM81's?

I can get a brand new set for $600 bucks shipped (non matched).

Would Oktava MK-012 be just as good for over heads as the Shures?

xiwiwix said:

Shure SM81's?

No, but they wouldn't necessarily be bad. You might try to track down some AKG 451's. Probably a little more than 200 each, but not by much and well worth the money.

tnjazz said:
No, but they wouldn't necessarily be bad. You might try to track down some AKG 451's. Probably a little more than 200 each, but not by much and well worth the money.

Which one's, B, C, or E's?

Oktava's could be a good bet fot the price. You should definetly consider them.Warm tone with lots of clarity and interchangeble polar patter capsules. You could do a pretty good drum recording with those mics, just take the time to position them well, et Voila!

Lexus507 said:
I have always heard really good things about studio projects c4's they are 300 for a matched pair.

Whats what I have. :( They sound ok, but they lack bottom end fullness.

xiwiwix said:

Shure SM81's?

81's have served me well and are good for many other acoustic sources
That is a decent price for new ones shipped

xiwiwix said:
Which one's, B, C, or E's?

I would suggest E's because of capsule interchangeability. The C is only a European model I think, and the B's are fixed cap.

They all do pretty well though.

The suggestion of C4's is a good one also. I think they sound better than Oktavas (unmodded).

Drewcifer666 said:
Shure SM81s are way way better than Oktavas. So are most of the Audio Technicas.
Not sure I agree 100% with that statement, Drew. I love the 81's for overheads on some music, Oktavas and AEA 84's for other music. It depends. I don't have enough experience with the Audio Technicas to comment on them for overheads.

I already have a pair of SP C4's but the lack the bottom end punch that I need for the toms. A MD421II that I'm using for a room mic picks up a lot more bottom end, and it's 6-9 feet away from the kit. :(

I was recommend ATM450's, how do those compare to the M012, C4, and SM81?

Back