best STEREO spring reverbs??

Cratinus

i've been scouring eBay for such an animal. i've seen the following (which i find quite interesting):

Fostex 3180
Furman RV-2
Master Room Stereo reverb (forget the model,..XL-305????)
Orban stereo reverb (111-B,.i think?)

i have an "all-analog" project i'm working on (via my beloved Tascam 246). i'm also utilizing Yamaha analog delays and Ibanez "UE"series analog multi-effects . i'm "trying" to keep the entire project ANALOG (until "CD rendering") and wish to use the stereo spring 'verb on the final mix/bus. any opinions on the above (mentioned) units? if there is a MONO spring 'verb (that is superior) i might consider picking up TWO for my purposes. thanks.

My first Spring reverb unit was a Bi-amp stereo model that sounded really nice on guitar and on vocals. I used to use that when I got my first TASCAM 244 Portastudio back in the early 80's.

Drums sound horrible through any spring unit I have ever heard so I wouldn't recommend you use it for anything percussive in nature.

As for the models you mentioned above, I don't have any direct experience with them but the Orban might be the best of the bunch in that they did used to make some very solid gear back in the day so, I would guess that their reverb unit followed the same traditions as their eq's and compressors of being well built and clean in terms of self noise and distortion.

Cheers! :)

Great British Spring had a good name over here - if you haven't seen that name you might want to check it out. I've got an Accessit SRC myself, good reverb (several springs in an external box) but a tiny bit to noisy for me to recommend it.

thanks for the responses, gang. it seems that the Fostex 3180 might be the most affordable unit of the bunch. i might give it a try. the other units have some built in eq and limiting but i can ALWAYS run it (the Fostex) through my old Mackie and tweak the eq as needed (and patch in a compressor if necessary). cheers.

the best spring reverb you can buy new, IMHO, is the james demeter 'real reverb.' its a real analog spring reverb in a 1u rackmount space. sound is hi-fi!

just make sure you're far from any emf fields, otherwise it will get noisy. very sensitive in that regard.

Back