Best sounding sequencing software

toast

Since I'm new to computer recording, I'm still researching before I am going to buy. You guys out there are very knowledgable, so I'm going to shoot you a few questions:

1) Does the recording software (ie: Protools, Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, etc) generate a certain 'sound' of it's own? Do some programs sound better than others? If so, which ones?

2) People talk about the difference in the quality of a/d converters. Is there a sound quality difference in digital inputs?
IE: does one soundcard's digital inputs sound better than another cards, or is all digital the same?

Thanks in advance!!!

1. I feel certain you would not hear a difference between programs unless its a shitty one with bugs.
2. In the digital world you get what you hear without the A/D conversion.
I.E. not sure but I dont think so

Some people talk about the 'audio engine' in a program. What is it and are some engines better than others? Which ones?

All programs have some effect on the sound if you want to believe it or not. How much do they differ is the question. For the most part when dealing with digital audio the weakest link is the converters. Owning some crazy good software will not save your audio quality from poor converters. That being said the audible difference between programs is pretty small but still existant. Some things to consider are the built in eq's and fx that come with the program or the mixdown algorithms. If you don't use these options very often then using the same gear with different programs will yield a simular result. Hope that helped.

Back