Best soundcard?

EdJames

I have recently purchased the Delta 44 but hate it cause my output isn't stereo, everything is mono. Please can you recommend a new soundcard, possibly costing a bit more like the EMU that would offer me stereo output from one output jack? I just can't be doing a panned mixdown in mono any longer!

Well....Every analog output on any soundcard is going to be mono. The idea is that you hook each up to a monitor (ie. out1=left, out2=right). Now, you could do a couple of things. You could get a different interface that also has a headphone jack (most expensive). You could get a small mixer to run the output to and use the headphone jack on that. You could also get a headphone amp.

That sounds weird...surely they didn't design an interface that only outputs in Mono....Monitoring in stereo is what its all about!!!

If there are 4 outputs on it surely you can set one of these up for the Left Stereo Output and another for the Right Stereo Output....

Or am i talking out of my bum?

lurgan liar said:
That sounds weird...surely they didn't design an interface that only outputs in Mono....Monitoring in stereo is what its all about!!!

If there are 4 outputs on it surely you can set one of these up for the Left Stereo Output and another for the Right Stereo Output....

Or am i talking out of my bum?

I am pretty sure that outputs 1 and 2 are supposed to output as a stereo pair.

Outputs 1/2 are the stereo outs for the Delta 44. 1=Left; 2=Right. Thus, to connect headphones, or speakers with a single stereo plug, you'll probably need to invest in a headphone amp or small mixer, as has previously been mentioned. I'm using the Presonus HP4 with my Delta 66 and have been very pleased with it.

You could try rigging some sort of adapter to combine outputs 1/2 to a single stereo jack, but a heaphone amp/mixer will give you more options.

In you case you don't get what people are saying, you use Output 1 as left and Output 2 as right. You don't need stereo from one jack, I would wager that most quality interfaces only have MONO (and usually balanced) signals coming out of each jack (be it 1/4 TS/TRS or XLR).

Nope, Delta 44has two out lines, one is channel 1/2, the other is 3/4, so do I need to split 1/2 into my headphone amp?

Features
4x4 24-bit/96kHz full-duplex recording interface.

Configured as a PCI Host card with external audio break-out box.

4x4 analog break-out box accepts balanced or unbalanced connections
on 1/4 in. tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) jacks.

Analog I/O configurable for +4dB or -10dB signal levels.

Measured D/A specs: 103dB (A-weighted) dynamic range, 0.0015% THD @ 0dBFS.

Measured A/D specs: 99dB (A-weighted) dynamic range, 0.0023% THD @ 0dBFS.

All data paths support up to 24-bit/96kHz performance, no upgrades necessary.

Powerful digital mixing, routing, and monitoring capabilities.

Drivers Include: Windows 95/98, Windows NT, ASIO, ASIO2, Direct Sound, EASI, Multi-card 95/98, and Multi-card NT (up to 3 in a system), Gigasampler, Mac Sound Manager, and Mac ASIO.

-----------------------------------------------

i see 4 1/4 ins and outs....thats 2 channels stereo ins and outs.

Is this what u have?

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--THKMIMD442

Yes, that’s what I have.

So presumably I need a 1 to 2 lead splitter where the two splitter go (through jacks) into output one and two and the singular jack they join goes into the headphone amp?

EdJames said:
Nope, Delta 44has two out lines, one is channel 1/2, the other is 3/4, so do I need to split 1/2 into my headphone amp?

The Delta 44 has 4 outputs, not two. They are logically grouped in the mixer app as outs 1/2, and outs 3/4. Combining the pairs into single jacks would compromise the flexability of the interface.

EdJames said:
So presumably I need a 1 to 2 lead splitter where the two splitter go (through jacks) into output one and two and the singular jack they join goes into the headphone amp?

Most headphone amps that I've seen have individual left/right inputs, so no splitter would be needed.

So I essentially just need two jack to jack leads. One from Output 1 to left channell of headphone amp and one from Output 2 to the right channel?

EdJames said:
So I essentially just need two jack to jack leads. One from Output 1 to left channell of headphone amp and one from Output 2 to the right channel?
Yes, that is correct.

Problem is I can't find a lead that would do this. The output plug is fine but you can't get one jack to one audio L/R lead. Can someone show me what two leads I need via a link or something please?

EdJames said:
Problem is I can't find a lead that would do this. The output plug is fine but you can't get one jack to one audio L/R lead. Can someone show me what two leads I need via a link or something please?
I think you're confusing things a bit, all you need is 2 x 1/4" jack to jack leads.

Left and right doesn't matter, the connectors at either end are the same normal 1/4" jack type.

http://www.studiospares.com/pd_579380_MJACKMJACK 25m NEUTRIK RICO4.htm

Attachments

• 86_l.jpg
    86_l.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 45
I see the lead you are suggesting however I need to go from one of those into a phono input on the headphone amp. That type of lead would not fit into the headphone amp input. So I guess my question is how you go from jack to phono.

I think the attached pic is what I need, would that be correct?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 30
EdJames said:
I see the lead you are suggesting however I need to go from one of those into a phono input on the headphone amp. That type of lead would not fit into the headphone amp input. So I guess my question is how you go from jack to phono.
Guess....? ;)

That's right, it's a 1/4" jack at one end and an RCA (phono) connector at t'other. I don't know why you think these aren't available. I use these myself as I have 1/4" outs on my preamps and phono ins on my soundcard. The only issue with this is that the connection won't be balanced so there will be a slight drop in signal level but this won't compromise the quality of the signal (assuming you don't have really long cable runs?).

As you're using two outs simultaneously for stereo you would need 2 jack to phono leads or a cable with two mono jacks at one end and two phono leads at the other.

Studiospares does the latter for a fiver:

http://www.studiospares.com/pd_595050_2XMJK2XPHONOS LEAD 3m.htm

edit: Yes!!! like in your pic although you'll need two.

Back