Best Sound Card For A/D Transfer

Westwood187

Whats up all
before you ask ive used the search function but didn't really get a proper answer
after much sucking of teeth i have finally bought myself a tascam 122 mkIII to digitize my cassette collection, should be here next week
I currently only have a soundblaster x-fi sound card which i hate due to the line in and mic sharing ports (bullshit) yes only bought it $150. So im after a really good sound card preferably internal, as ill need to run my speakers,turntable, cassette deck & earphones from it without much pulling wires out, so can someone tell me is there a definitive answer for the best card for sound and quality and reliability and digitizes to perfection and is an all round magical card? please point me in the right direction, and put me out of my searching misery.
I also need a new RCA y cord I presume as I just have the shitty one from radio shack, is there such a thing as a professional one? lol
thanks for any help in advance :)

Last edited:
No takers on this?
let me break it down better, the m-audio 24/96 soundcard for instance

can i use a cassette deck & turntable plugged into the RCA ports and digitize both when required?

i dont see any ports for earphones?

i dont see any ports for speakers (mine also has a subwoofer)?

i listen to everything from my harddrive, thats the my predicament :eek:

please help lol
thanks

You'll need an RIAA preamp for the turntable to compensate for the EQing required to make vinyl.
How do you plan to deal with tape noise etc.? What about scratches & pops.
I suggest a reasonable soundcard (though I've archived & restored quite a few Lps & tapes using a s/blaster until I could afford better).
I also highly recommend Waverepair as the recording/restoration program.
If you do a forum search using waverepair you'll find a few where I've explained it.

If you've already bought the 122, why do you need another sound card?

If you need a card with RIAA, have a look at the presonus Inspire

My turntable has a built in pre-amp?
i have software to clean audio already :confused:
i need a new soundcard that will accept, earphones, speakers , turntable and cassette?

And now the details come out!:o
Ok, you've got it all sorted & obviously don't want any help whatsoever.:D
I'd suggest plugging your soundcard line in & line out into an stereo amp like I do so that you have all the things that you are asking for but you know everything so I shan't bother suggestinga tried and true way of doing what you want to do.:cool:

Rayc dont be sarcy with me, im a newbie to this and trying to get my head around it is very frustrating, please understand, i appreciate anyones help more then you know!!! that said...

I dont have a stereo amp or hi-fi
I have speaker monitors with built in amp and sub, which are currently connected to my pc, from which i listen to my media files on

so again, what i need is a sound card that offers

speaker jack
headphone jack
line in jack

:)

Last edited:
I have to wonder why you want/need BOTH a mic in and a line in jack? NEVER use the mic. in to record ANYTHING. Mics. are mono, remember? If you use a mic for other puter apps, then you will need to unplug or another card.

What you will need is a switch box to choose between the deck and the turntable. You could just run a cable out from the card and swap plugging in the TT and the deck. I wouldn't think you would need both at the same time.

The card you have doesn't have the best AD converter but it does everything else well. I know. I have a X-Fi myself.

If your TT already has a RIAA pre., all the better. If not, you WILL need one.

The deck is straight forward. Tape out to card input.

^^ thanks for that solo2racr, the reason i need a headphone port is because ill need to listen back to my audio with earphones to detect pops and crackles etc for cleaning audio, and i dont have a headphone port on my speakers

you're right i dont need a turntable and cassette deck plugged in together
but a headphones jack would be nice :confused: my question is though does that m-audio 24/96 have a headphone port? the same as the speaker port? surely theres an adaptor?

and yes the reason i hate the x-fi is because it shares the line in & mic ports, and i hate having to switch cables regulary :rolleyes:

thanks guys

audiophile192.jpg

the 192

audiophile.jpg

the 24/96

e2b9_1.JPG

the Delta 1010LT

I am unsure, thats why i am asking

Last edited:
i need a new soundcard that will accept, earphones, speakers , turntable and cassette?

Now I'm confused.

You've already bought the 122 right?

You run the line out to your monitors. Plug your earphones into the headphone jack. Your turntable already has riaa so you can plug that, or your cassette deck into the line inputs.

Or am I missing something here?

You've already bought the 122 right?
tascam 122 will be arriving this week

You run the line out to your monitors. Plug your earphones into the headphone jack. Your turntable already has riaa so you can plug that, or your cassette deck into the line inputs.

where? lol
MY speaker monitors dont have a headphone jack :)
thats why im trying to find out does any of those cards have the facility for headphones?
Im sorry if i haven't explained myself properly since the start but this stuff is still kinda foreign to me
thanks for the help so far

Last edited:
Possibly cheaper and easier just to replace the computer speakers? (Something with a headphone jack!!)

Possibly cheaper and easier just to replace the computer speakers? (Something with a headphone jack!!)

thats not an option, they're amazing $250 monitors
^^ lol, this thread is turning out to be a nightmare, please read my initial post, i said i bought a tascam 122 mkIII which is a cassette deck
122mk3.jpg

Last edited:
I use a headphone extension cable from the soundcard stereo out of the computer I use for vinyl restoration. Into it's other end I can plus a Y cable that goes to my stereo & speaker set up (you would go to powered monitors) OR I can plug in h/phones with an adaptor. that way I can monitor through speakers or phones depending on time of day, who's home etc.
BUT, because I'm using an old stereo I can plug h/phones into it as well if I want the sound slightly coloured - or to play with tone outside the box.
But you didn't want to know that did you!

thanks rayc, so basically i will need

21V1Yw8FJVL._AA200_.jpg

and
41W7TV1356L._AA280_.jpg

and maybe a coupler or something, i still cant get my head around it, maybe its because im ever so slightly retarded or extremely tired :)
if you can just help push me past this final hurdle i would be forever grateful
oh and which card would you go for? :D
and another thing the RCA Y from cassette deck line out to soundcard line in, is there a professional one that makes the signal better for digitizing, or does everyone just use the regular cheap ones? thanks alot fellows

If you want something with a lot RCA inputs and outputs I would check out
the Delta 1010lt. That is of course if you have a desktop it would be hard
trying to fit it is a laptop :)

I have an old MKII they are great at what they do.

Back