Best SM-57 story

nezpierce

Got this idea from another thread about best beginner mic, and thought maybe it would be fun. Anyone in the Alan Hyatt Haters club (AKA https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=38133) could us a little lighter fare right about now.

Since the sm-57 is the workhorse of all mics, we always mistreat them, and expect them to continue working, and they always do.

For instance, playing catch in a 4000 seat hall from the balcony to the floor with an SM57 . oops! Hey it still works..... (its true, I saw it happen....)(yes, beer was invloved)

so feel free to contribute, and maybe a really good story will result in a gift from Santa Claus, providing he can leave the studio ....

nP

THere's a little yappy dog next door that goes nuts whenever someone's in the back yard and it drives my wife nuts. In order to get reven... ur uh, TRAIN him, we bought a 130 dB ultrasonic deterrent. We tried to test it inside but couldn't tell when it was going off. Also, we couldn't tell where the speaker was and didn't know how to point it. I cranked up the ol' Blue Tube and SM-57, and by watching the meters, determined the correct operation of the blaster.

I'll be sending more detailed results to Shure so they can update their frequency response graph.

I didn't shoot the SM-57 yet, but I will!

I'll try in the next month or two, since I'm on vacation until December 27th. ;)

There was a local radio show here where the hosts took either a 57 or a 58 and saw how much damage it would take. They through it in water, dropped it from a several story crane, they may have even shot it. I knew the mic survived several of the test and still worked. I was a while back, so I cannot remember what was the death of it.

...rolled over a 57 and a vintage p-bass in a 96 dodge dakota after working sound for a show - the mic still worked fine...

..and the bass, which was in an skb case was still in tune!...

heh

fire.is.real

Walking Man Sound

Back