Best settup for what I have

J3k

Hi. this a multi-part question from a definate newbie. My current settup is as follows:
Guitar > Zoom505 >Tascam Portastudio 424 > Sound Blaster Live soundcard > Cakewalk.
I also record bass and vocals bypassing the Zoom.

Question 1: Is this the best configuration of my current gear?
Question 2: What is my next Piece of gear or upgrade?
Question 3: Is this the best place to post this Question?

I am already looking at replacing the Zoom with a Pod. Is this the best move for a beginner on a budget?

J3k,

I assume that you are using the Portastudio as a preamp. But the Zoom505 undoubtedly has a line-level signal coming out of it. So why not plug it straight into the soundcard? You'll avoid any noise that the Portastudio circuitry that it's passing through is adding.

As to to your second question, if you're on a budget, it seems that a more effective upgrade might be a decent small mixer with some good mic preamps. It's bound to be much quieter and more flexible than using the Portastudio for this purpose. Something like a Behringer Eurorack MX602A, MX802A, or MX1604A, or a Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro or 1402-VLZ Pro. The POD is fantastic -- I have one and can vouch for it -- but if you're already happy enough with the guitar sounds you can get out of the Zoom device, I think a mixer would be a wiser first choice for a purchase. Tip -- get as good a mixer as you can -- go for more channels that you'll think you'll need. Then you can grow into adding more stuff and still have a flexible way of combining and routing signals.

-AlChuck

Thanks AlChuck. As I stated I am new to digital and this settup was recomended by a freind as I already had the Portastudio.
I like the sound I get from the Zoom if I go through headphones or my Crate G600 amp, but when I record it always sounds weak and dry.
I will try your recomendations and see if it helps.

Back