Best SD cardioid condenser, overall

Best SD cardioid condenser, overall.

• MC 012

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • AT 4041

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Neither (specify in post below your preferred mic)

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
DigitMus said:
Well I'll put my 2¢ in on SD cardioids, since nobody else seems to like one of my favorites - the Earthworks SR77. A pair of 'em are killer on grand piano or as an ORTF pair for acoustic or calssical ensembles. I even got lazy and used one for background vocals (it was already plugged in...) and it was great!
:D

If i had the cash they would be my first choice. I have a pair of SROs and i am very impressed (but they have a very high self noise)

Mark,
I believe that there will be a review of the new Rodes in the next issue of Audio Technology magazine. Not that it's likely to mean much, as I haven't seen them do a bad review yet and I suspect they wouldn't risk losing Rode's advertising dollars.

:cool:

i think that the (old) neumann km84 and the (new) km184 are both mics worthy of checking out if you're in the market for a small diaphram cardioid condenser
Very true, I picked up a new KM-184 a week ago and compared to my Octava'a, Earthworks, 4033's & AKGs, it's at the top of the foodchain.

Hi Ausrock

Yse, they told me that in their email. They also mentioned another magazine whaich I can't think of right now.... I'm at work at the moment. I'll post it tonight when I get home.

Mark

Track Rat said:

Very true, I picked up a new KM-184 a week ago and compared to my Octava'a, Earthworks, 4033's & AKGs, it's at the top of the foodchain.

track rat,
how does the 184 compare to the earthworks? is it brighter in comparison?
thank you
Harald

So far it's most simaler to the Octava 012 in that it has a smooth top end but more top end air. The Earthworks are just more crisp.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Earthworks mics. I was jingling keys, testing all my small dia. mics and with the Neumann you could decern individual keys striking each other as with is it was more of a collision.

Hi Tonewoods,

I love the C 391Bs because they WORK extraordinarily well, sound amazingly souful & not to mention they're flat as a pancake too [on the frequency curve]! I picked them out of a bunch of small diaphragm condensers and it outperformed the AT4041 for my purposes & my own guitar.

The Audio Technica 4041 is still a great pencil microphone in any case as is the Neumann KM-84-KM184s. FYI I am doing the over the shoulder mic'ing technique with my C-301B. However I change to the CK92 omni capsule for this technique [Thanks Harvey!]. I find the cardioid response nice also. Can't believe that anyone would slam this particular microphone--they're flat out gorgeous sounding IMHO I will most likely pick up a C 451B and/or C 480 while I'm at it :)

BTW, the C 391B is my secret weapon for mic'ing lower wattage guitar amps--try it on an 8-15 watt amp such as a Fender Champ or Vox Pathfinder/AC-15...amazing! :D

I also use the c391b for most anything. Sounds great!
But---..-. I´ve tried a neumann km84 for ac. guitars and drums. And I was blown away! I loved the sound those mics gave me, not very much better than the c391b but definately better. Atleast for my applications. Im getting a pair of mxl603s aswell to try out. Hope theyll live up to the "hype"

Hello Michael,

The C 391B is an AKG small diaphragm pencil with interchangeable capslues-- everything from the usual cardioid, hypercardioid, omni & all the way to figure-eight if you want/need to go there for M/S or Blumlein mic'ing techniques.:) Extremely versatile to put it mildly!

cominginsecond said:
Speaking of SD condensors, would anyone be interested in downloading some clips of a mini-"shootout" I did between the ubiquitous AKG c1000s and the becoming-ever-more ubiquitous MXL 603s? If so, I'll encode those and post them ASAP.

Yes! I have two C1000s mics and am debating selling them for different mics (for use primarily as drum overheads). I have my eyes on the 603, based on what I have learned here, but would love to hear them side by side. Could you please post those clips?

Yes, please do.

And shame on you, Geekgirl, for assuming all guys are pigs. I suppose if a guy were to post on an "opera" or "Ballet" forum talking knowlegeably about the opera, you'd probably get a lot of similar comments from the ladies: "Ah . . . a guy who appreciates the Ballet. Very cool."

thanks a lot for taking the time to post these samples.
as i expected, i too like the 603 better than the c1000 on most sources.

Thanks for posting those clips. You really can hear a distinct difference between the mics, even with the compression and my crappy headphones I have at work. The 603s seem to have a richer sound, less tinny. I really liked what it did with the acoustic guitar compared to the 1000s, and the tambourine sounded great too. I imagine they would get me a better sound (better to me at least) as overheads, so I think it's time to put at least one 1000s on Ebay.

I might keep one of them though, I actually preferred the sleighbells with the 1000s, they cut through better, which I could see being useful in cetain situations. Plus, a battery powered condenser is nice somtimes.

Thanks to all for your input!

chessrock said:
Yes, please do.

And shame on you, Geekgirl, for assuming all guys are pigs. I suppose if a guy were to post on an "opera" or "Ballet" forum talking knowlegeably about the opera, you'd probably get a lot of similar comments from the ladies: "Ah . . . a guy who appreciates the Ballet. Very cool."

Relax, Chess. I never said "all guys are pigs." Puh-leeze ... I was pretty specific in my posts, which were responses to a specific comment ... it seems all that was well resolved way back when (check the date stamp). I don't get your ballet and opera analogy because both of those art forms are dominated by men.

OK, on to the REAL subject: As soon as I get some time, I plan on comparing the 4041, 391B, NT5, and the 603s. I'll let ya'll know what I think if that will be of interest to anyone. I'm hoping to start demo-ing mics first and second weeks of April.

geekgurl said:
... I plan on comparing the 4041, 391B, NT5, and the 603s. I'll let ya'll know what I think if that will be of interest to anyone. I'm hoping to start demo-ing mics first and second weeks of April.
I'd really be interested in your findings. Please, let us know.

Back