BEST RHYTHM GUITARISTS

Tweedville-

I think Long Train Runnin' was the first song I ever learned. Only about 26 years ago ! I'm feeling old now.

Mike Rutherford of Genesis is a great rhythm guitarist. He was a great bassist at one time too but got lazy or something later in his career.

I'm not a Rolling Stones fan but Ron Wood has a gift for rhythm.

Frank Gambale is good too. His album Passages is full of inventive chord progressions. He is known for fast solos and sweep-picking technique, but he is so much more than that.

Surprised no one mentioned Jimmy Page. Sure his lead playing is sloppy but great. His rhythm playing is where he really shines for me, in particuliar the acoustic tunes.

Don't start on jimmy, that's a whole new thread, apparently he has a bad back at the moment and carn't play (on stage anyway)-get better soon jimmy.

As previously mentioned,Mark Farner indeed!
Page is a good rhythm player.....a groovemeister."Ten Years Gone" from Physical Grafitti is well written and played.I thought his soloing started to go a little downhill after Houses of the Holy,but he has always been all about composition and layering (however,I did buy a bootleg in Sioux City Iowa in '74-----the concert was recorded on the III tour,and he and Plant were ON).

No arguments with Keith, Pete or Andy, but what about Malcom Young (ACDC). You can say what you want about Angus, but Malcom lays down those bigass slabs o' 3chord chunk, that they made a career out of. Still not as good as Keith, but definitely worth mentioning.
Jeff

Here are the best, with regards to rhythm...

First, I separate between single and dual guitar acts. Then, I'd have to at least separate by type of music.

Metal:
Tony Iommi is the single ax king. He invented heavy metal!

Dual attack:

Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt of Exodus!!!!
Why these guys were never given their dues, I'll never know. Guitars do not get any thicker than when those two go at it. Their song is like that live also, which means they don't layer 5 guitars together. No wonder they kicked out Kirk Hammett, he sucks!

Definitely Keith Richards. John Lennon. I don't think John Fogerty played as much rhythm as his brother Tom did when they were together in Creedence. What about Thin Lizzy? Don't recall the names of the two guitar players but they both did great rhythm lines. Jimmy Page on the acoustic songs.

Gary Moore was in Thin Lizzy later in their career. Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson, and John Sykes were all in the band at various times.

John Sykes was the guitarist on that really popular Whitesnake album. The one with Tawny Kitaen crawling around looking real hot.

Back