Best reverb unit $400-$700 range

killmachine

I've got a Alesis Midiverb which is ok, but obviously not that great and there is an audible difference in it. I do track in a decent size room however, it is in no shape to really try and get a good room ambiance out of it. So i tend not to use a lot of room micing.

I really want a unit that does a good job with natural sounding as possible for essentially being "fake". If perhaps there was one with a more than one channel. The other Mod effects and whatnot are not neccassary.

Suggest away

Reactions: SRR
The Rumour is the best reverb in that price range, by far in my opinion. The Mangler is primarily not a reverb box, so I wouldn't put that on your list. Another box to look at would be the TC M-One XL (not the original M-One).

lumbago said:
Lexicon MPX500/550/200 are all worth a listen.
I have both a Lexicon mpx 500 and a Kurzweil Rumour. Both have very different reverbs, but I much prefer the Kurzweil.

So where do the Lexicon MX200/400 lay in this circle? I know the MX400 is like having two MX200s in one box, 4 in 4 out type deal, but are they not up to the MPX series? Also what about the TC M350, again cheaper like the MX200, but how far down the pole do these units fall?

Sorry if that is to off topic, but I like my MX200 that we picked up for $160 brand new at banjo center....but I keep wondering what a $500 unit would sound like compared to the MX200/MX400.

fraserhutch said:
I have both a Lexicon mpx 500 and a Kurzweil Rumour. Both have very different reverbs, but I much prefer the Kurzweil.

I have the same 2 units and I agree -- both are usable, but I like the Kurzweil better.

I've owned every Lexicon Reverb under $1500.00, as well as the Rumour...still have the Rumour, Lex's are gone....not that they were terrible (they weren't), just that when I decided to downsize to one unit, the Rumour won that shootout hands down....and as mentioned many times, convertors are good (great for the $$$)...often thought of adding a Mangler (should have just gone with the KSP8, I know) but probably would have used it mostly for the convertors.....BW

The Mangler is a great box too. I used to own a Rumour and a Mangler and then upgraded to the KSP8, selling the R&M. As far as sound, they R&M sound basically the same as the KSP8, really hard to hear any difference at all. Obviously the KSP8 has a lot of programming advantages due to the eight busses and freedom of stacking fx. But the Rumour and Mangler are great deals in my opinion, I love the delays on the Mangler. Plus it has good sounding distortion, something lacking on many rack mount fx boxes.

At $700, your just shy of getting a TC Powercore Compact, which may be something to consider. The reverbs alone are worth the price of admission, light years beyond midiverb quality, and then there's a whole suite of other included plugins, as well as 3rd party plugs like the Sony Oxford Suite. They all run on DSP over firewire, not bogging down your host CPU, but looking to your system like any other plugin. I've been very happy with Powercore.

Altiverb will do better than some budget hardware units, in my opinion. We use the Sony DRE777 here or Lexicon 300, but some of those hardware ones suck..

It is very nice, and natural sounding. SIR is also nice, and 100% free.

I have used Altiverb/SIR on 5 Releases this year. Clients were thrilled with the results, and of course I was..

I work with classical music, but a good verb is a good verb, regardless.

SonicAlbert said:
The Rumour is the best reverb in that price range, by far in my opinion. The Mangler is primarily not a reverb box, so I wouldn't put that on your list. Another box to look at would be the TC M-One XL (not the original M-One).

What he said also!

Lexicon PCM70 is also worth a listen in that price range. They often sell for more, but I've seen a few go for under $700.00.

Tim
:)

Back