best reverb plugin

I have SIR but there is a latency when I use it. How can I make it useable? I like the reverbs I got with it especially this chapel one. But they all lag it just messes up my recordings. What do you guys do to help this? btw ambience does kickass. Same with glaceverb and classic reverb. Anyone use freeverb? That's a good one aswell.

oh and what analouge tape plugins are good out there? I play black metal and would love my recordings to sound analouge but Digital is just too convenient for me. Anyone use THD? It gives recordings a warmer sound.

I haven't found an "analog warmth" plug that made any bit of difference. The best way to get an "analog" sound on a smaller budget, is to pick up an external summing buss. Trident makes some inexpensive ones that sound excellent.

As for reverb plugs, I really enjoy TL Space. I feel its better than Altiverb (still an amazing plug), and its a little cheaper. I'll stick with the Lexicon 480L for a few more years....

TuoKaerf said:
I haven't found an "analog warmth" plug that made any bit of difference. The best way to get an "analog" sound on a smaller budget, is to pick up an external summing buss. Trident makes some inexpensive ones that sound excellent.

As for reverb plugs, I really enjoy TL Space. I feel its better than Altiverb (still an amazing plug), and its a little cheaper. I'll stick with the Lexicon 480L for a few more years....

It may not sound "analog" but that doesn't mean it isn't a useable effect or that it doesn't make things sound "warmer" or better.

I really like the Lexicon plug ins. Obviously the hardware sounds best, but these are great. Loaded with ye olde 'character'. I used to use Renissance stuff, but never really liked it.

BigRay said:
altiverb is hands down the best reverb ive ever used.
they just ported it to PC too.

See, this is where so much of it is about personal taste and intended uses of the gear. I can see Altiverb being appealing and useful to you, since it emulates acoustic spaces and recording classical performers in concert halls is what you do.

For me, I don't care for Altiverb much. In my opinion, there's something wrong with it right at the beginning part of the reverb. Between the predelay and first reflections. That part of it doesn't sound right to me. The reverb tails sound very nice.

Altiverb is great for post production/movie type stuff because it is so easy for engineers to dial in the space they want, to match what's on screen. Really nice for that.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
It may not sound "analog" but that doesn't mean it isn't a useable effect or that it doesn't make things sound "warmer" or better.

That's not what I said.

Yeah, I am privileged in being able to work in amazing spaces most of the time, but when I dont, IMHO, altiverb comes the closest to those spaces than any other reverb out there...

Albert, I heard Yanni was making a new reverb plug. You should check it out. :D :p
SonicAlbert said:
See, this is where so much of it is about personal taste and intended uses of the gear. I can see Altiverb being appealing and useful to you, since it emulates acoustic spaces and recording classical performers in concert halls is what you do.

For me, I don't care for Altiverb much. In my opinion, there's something wrong with it right at the beginning part of the reverb. Between the predelay and first reflections. That part of it doesn't sound right to me. The reverb tails sound very nice.

Altiverb is great for post production/movie type stuff because it is so easy for engineers to dial in the space they want, to match what's on screen. Really nice for that.

peopleperson said:
I really like the Lexicon plug ins. Obviously the hardware sounds best, but these are great. Loaded with ye olde 'character'. I used to use Renissance stuff, but never really liked it.

Yeah, I get good use out of the Lexicon plug in that comes with the Producer edition of Sonar (Pantheon I think????) ... I have also had great results with the old TC Works Native Reverb

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
uhm, you said you that analog plugins don't make "any bit of difference". How else was it supposed to be taken?

I said they wont get you the "sound" of analog gear. I own a good few replication plugs of analog gear, and love them, but they don't sound the same as the original hardware unit.

skiz said:
How are the "Waves" reverb plug ins? any one out there have em and what u think?
skiz, I'm here reading this thread because I'm trying to find a reverb plug that doesn't sound artificial, including Waves. I just put Waves on my machine, and it has the same artificial sounding high frequency chatter that the others have. I haven't used a large varieties of plugs. In fact I've only used the plugs that come with Cubase, and the Sony Sound Forge Reverbs. But I expected so much more from Waves. I used both the Reneissance and the standard Waves verbs..

I'm going to check out some convolution verbs today

Thats a pity.. The Waves RVerb and TrueVerb is all i really have to work with. And i agree, dont like them as of yet either..

Any one know a free plug with pretty decent sounding verbs?

Last edited:
I use and love Classicverb and Megaverb on a TC-Powercore card, and RoomSim in Samplitude. For free, I think Freeverb 2 is quite usable.

Okay,
I just finished setting up a comparison project. I ran a single acoustic guitar track and a single vocal track. I lined up one control vocal track and multiple copies of that same track for reverb plug comparison.

I ran:
-Ambience
-Glaceverb
-Spazio (this is the newer updated big brother of Anwidasoft's DX Reverb)
-SIR
-Waves Trueverb
-Waves Reneissance Verb

I solo'd the vocals and played around with some settings on each verb I thought would fit the vocal in the mix. I was surprised right off the bat with Glaceverb. It sounds pretty natural and warm. It's the first plug I've used that made me think that. Ambience sounds better than most I've used in the past, but still a little tinny to me. The Waves verb's don't sound that bad, it's just that I feel like I'm paying more for a fancy interface and tweakability than I am for high quality audio and usability. The controls are too tedious IMO. With so many presets, I don't want to tweak that much to get what I want. SIR sounds pretty darn good and natural. It just seems close to what a room really would sound like. If you download all the impulses off of Noisevault, you've got a lot of expirementing to do. The interface is very plain, but very functional. In fact I was able to easily tweak the sounds with a couple of faders, etc and get the results I was looking for.

When I played the processed audio back in the mix, the Spazio verb actually sounded the best. I didn't think it sounded especially wonderful when I had vocals solo'd, but I think I just found a reverb regeneration and size that really fit and sounded good in the mix. The Spazio verb is not free, what I was using was a demo that cut out every 30 seconds. Not sure of the price and haven't played with DX Reverb Light.

These tests were very very basic and I will dig in much deeper, but it's a fun way to A/B these verbs. I need effects that get to the point with very little input from me. Overall I must say that Glaceverb and SIR stood out to me today. More to come..

how do you deal with the latency that SIR has? I really like it but it has a delays the tracks so I can't use it. What do you do?

ericlingus said:
how do you deal with the latency that SIR has? I really like it but it has a delays the tracks so I can't use it. What do you do?

Use Cubase ;)

I like PoCo ClassicVerb, SIR, and PoCo Megaverb; in that order pretty much. But different ones work better for me on different days.
And those "warmifier" plugins are pretty much bunk as far as I am concerned. They can help give a track or two a different sound, but over an entire mix it just deteriorates the sound too much.

Back