Best Reverb for the money?

Well I just got mine in today. This is my first piece of outboard gear lol! So...I have absolutely no clue how to hook this thing up or how to use it so I would really appreciate a little help. Here's my setup. I'm using Maudio Dmp3 pres into my Maudio FW1814>to my Mac>Pro Tools Mpowered. Like I said, I really have no clue as to how these outboard effects work because I've always used plugins. Could someone please help a brotha out lol....Thanks alot in advance guys!

Guess I better plug mine in
Sooner or later you're going to have to.

Well I just got mine in today. This is my first piece of outboard gear lol! So...I have absolutely no clue how to hook this thing up or how to use it so I would really appreciate a little help. Here's my setup. I'm using Maudio Dmp3 pres into my Maudio FW1814>to my Mac>Pro Tools Mpowered. Like I said, I really have no clue as to how these outboard effects work because I've always used plugins. Could someone please help a brotha out lol....Thanks alot in advance guys!
Just go xlr out to xlr analog in on the V-Verb, then xlr out from the v-verb to your interface.

Sooner or later you're going to have to.

Just go xlr out to xlr analog in on the V-Verb, then xlr out from the v-verb to your interface.

Go Xlr out then xlr back in to the v-verb? That doesn't make since to me but I'm not familiar with outboard gear.

Actually it depends on how you're using it. If you're recording with it, you'd go preamp to verb to interface. If you're mixing with it you'd go interface to verb then back to the interface. I was assuming your interface has xlr connections, but I didn't actually look it up.

Actually it depends on how you're using it. If you're recording with it, you'd go preamp to verb to interface. If you're mixing with it you'd go interface to verb then back to the interface. I was assuming your interface has xlr connections, but I didn't actually look it up.

Yea I will be using it for mixing only. I believe the FW1814 only has 2 xlr inputs for mics but I'd have to look again. Could I use TRS inserts? I've been out of recording for about 2 years or so I have almost forgotten everything! It sucks...I opened pro tools for the first time the other day and took me forever to get used to it lol.

For mixing then, you would go analog out from the interface into the analog in on the v-verb. Then analog out from the v-verb to analog in on the interface. It doesn't matter if it's xlr or trs. Both will carry a balanced audio signal just fine.

For mixing then, you would go analog out from the interface into the analog in on the v-verb. Then analog out from the v-verb to analog in on the interface. It doesn't matter if it's xlr or trs. Both will carry a balanced audio signal just fine.

Thanks alot for the responses bro. So I'm finally off work and able to actually look at all my manuals and units. I only have 4 analog outs, 2 of which are used for monitoring, and 2 balanced analog ins on the the unit so I think I've figured out how I can hook it up like you said. However, in my manual it says on my M-Audio FW1814 to use the S/PDIF digital for an EX Processor. Would this be any different? Thanks again bud!

Alright, finally got it running. This is how I routed it FW1814 output 4 to Verb in L, Verb out L and R into 1814 ins 7 and 8. Went into the software in/out configuration at the top of pt and put and insert on 4. I did get it inserted on a mono track in the insert slot. Not sure if is what I'm supposed to do but the verb did work. I want to put the verb on an Aux track and send all my tracks to it but it wouldn't let me do that for some reason.

Now the software configuration is what's confusing the hell out of me. At the top of PT where you go to I/O config. I did an insert on 4, and I believe an input on 7 and 8...however, whenever I bypassed the 7 and 8 it didn't really seem to make a difference. My insert on 4 was labeled path 1 which is what I inserted on my audio track...mono only.

I tried setting up busses and all that and sending them to an aux track but nothing seemed to work. What all would I need to configure in the I/O section at the top of Pro Tools and in PT mixer to set up an aux track and send all tracks to it? Sorry for my ignorance and all the questions lol, routing just confuses the hell out of me!! Thanks in advance.

You need to use the outboard verb unit as a send, not an insert. So you would match the hardware I/O to the corresponding software routing within PT. Should work no problem, I do it all the time with my hardware rack reverbs. The trick is in setting it up: make sure your hardware connections match your software routing.

I personally would use the SPDIF I/O for the reverb unit, if you don't need the digital connection for anything else. That will be super clean.

Thanks Albert. I checked the Spdif ins and outs on the amp and my interface and I'm pretty sure they're not the standard spdif rca cables. Am I supposed to used one of the fiber optical cables or whatever they're called? Thanks alot!

Just got myself a V-Verb off Ebay for $50 plus shipping. It was used and the seller has had issues with it, but it has just been fixed by Berry, so I'm hoping it will be fine now. There is still some warranty left, but will it be valid since the unit has been sold to me in the UK?

Anyway, for such a small out lay, I am looking forward to getting it. I have an EMU 1212m PCI card and I'll connect it via AES/EBU for mixing. I will see how the converters compare too the nice Emu as well.

At the moment my only outboard verb is a Lexicon MPX 100 so this will either be sold, or used as a headphone mix reverb for recording and live use.

I'm glad you guys let me know how good this Behringer is. If anyone ever discovers what it is that goes faulty in these things, please let us know.

Cheers

Just got myself a V-Verb off Ebay for $50 plus shipping. It was used and the seller has had issues with it, but it has just been fixed by Berry, so I'm hoping it will be fine now. There is still some warranty left, but will it be valid since the unit has been sold to me in the UK?

Anyway, for such a small out lay, I am looking forward to getting it. I have an EMU 1212m PCI card and I'll connect it via AES/EBU for mixing. I will see how the converters compare too the nice Emu as well.

At the moment my only outboard verb is a Lexicon MPX 100 so this will either be sold, or used as a headphone mix reverb for recording and live use.

I'm glad you guys let me know how good this Behringer is. If anyone ever discovers what it is that goes faulty in these things, please let us know.

Cheers

It might not work because of the power requirements...but if there is a switch maybe the warranty will be good...unless a guy opened it up that wasnt authorized.

Ive been seeing old pioneeer green eye reverbs from the 70s going on Ebay for cheap...at arround 10 bucks they might be the best for the buck.

Has anyone made a plate reverb...It seems like a cheap enough way to get a real reverb without laying out the money to have a chamber dug underground...but you have to have enough space.

Hi all,
I am currently upgrading my home studio and looking for a good outboard Reverb, The V-Verb seems to be the go but I worry about the "B" word. With stocks running out, replacements are not going to be an option for much longer. Would I be better of getting something like the Lexicon MX300 (or 400). I am tending towards the Lexicon as I havnt found a bad review yet. Does anyone have experience with both of these units for comparison???

My only concern is the Lexicon may be the bottom of the range, therefore lower quality sounds. They do promote their build quality which is a plus, and DAW implementation is a good feature in my book.

Use is mainly for vocals and acoustic Guitars.

Thanks,
Rastus

Hi all,
I am currently upgrading my home studio and looking for a good outboard Reverb, The V-Verb seems to be the go but I worry about the "B" word. With stocks running out, replacements are not going to be an option for much longer. Would I be better of getting something like the Lexicon MX300 (or 400). I am tending towards the Lexicon as I havnt found a bad review yet. Does anyone have experience with both of these units for comparison???

My only concern is the Lexicon may be the bottom of the range, therefore lower quality sounds. They do promote their build quality which is a plus, and DAW implementation is a good feature in my book.

Use is mainly for vocals and acoustic Guitars.

Thanks,
Rastus

There is always: Overloud Breverb audioMIDI Edition

I use Yamaha stuff - SPX1000, SPX90...

Even a used SPX90 is still very good for reverb, providing it is the second model or the first upgraded (the first one was 12 bit).

I would avoid all the cheap companies like the plague - Art , Behringer, Alesis and those type reverbs don't do what I want, I can't tell you how much I dislike cheap sounding reverb - I'd rather go dry.

A few years ago a friend bought a Lexicon Omega and it came with their reverb - Holy $#@&$! That thing sounded unbelievable. It sounded like the $10K one I wanted in 1984.

So even if you don't use the Lexicon's other features I'd consider it for just the reverb... you can buy them for peanuts... like $100 -120 used.

Every great company has a sound: Fender, Neumann, Sony... and Lexicon is practically giving away decades of research with the Omega.

Also, I did use a Lexicon Alex and that thing was garbage, so I'd avoid it and get the Pantheon reverb that comes with the Omega.

Thanks guys,
I already have some decent VST reverbs, my current favorite is the Kjaerhus Classic Reverb as well as some of their other effects. Their great, and …. FREE.
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/download.php

I am really after a quality outboard verb with digital I/O 24bit 48Khz. I believe this will help me to use it as a plug in, so I don’t have to go through DA/AD again if I want to add it later. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I agree with avoiding cheap verbs as I would be better off using Software. The “B” does get great reviews though. All the same, I am still heading towards the Lexicon MX. Does anyone have one of these units? Are they good? I would love to go up to the PCM but they are just a bit too pricy.

I already have a the E-mu1616m as an interface so the Omega is probably not what I am after.
The SPX is only 16 bit so not so sure on that one. It does get great reviews for its sound though, so I am keeping an open mind.

Thanks again,
Rastus.

Back