Best Recording Software?

Jeremy Clarkson

What are the pros and cons of the popular programs like cakewalk, reason, ableton, logic, pro tools protools etc, don't worry about the price. thanks!

Operating methodology and industry standardity (I just made that word up) and some have particular slants towards more techno-ey music, others towards more audio-ey music.

Research.

What are the pros and cons of the popular programs like cakewalk, reason, ableton, logic, pro tools protools etc, don't worry about the price. thanks!

No pros for any of those overblown or over priced pieces of cr*pware.

Get Reaper. :)

Oh, and change the theme (skin) to Apollo or Butkus... or even a ProTools skin if you must. :D

Last edited:

If you want something that's reasonably intuitive for a newbie I'd recommend taking a look at Presonus Studio One 2. There's a demo version available.

I'm buying on of their AIs (Audiobox VSL) which comes with a freebie copy of the basic SO. May be different if you have to pay (though you said that's not important for you).

I tried the demo's of cakewalk and cubase too and ended up plumping for SO. However, there are plenty of fans for Reaper it seems, so I I guess I will be trying some time soon.

Bottom line is try as many demos as you can and see what works for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Yeah Presonus bought out the devs of Kristal and their free DAW they thought it was so good. Upgraded and renamed Studio One.

Kristal is still available.

KRISTAL Audio Engine

I think peeps have tried to buy out Reaper as well but them boys are too legit or something.

I think peeps have tried to buy out Reaper as well but them boys are too legit or something.

lol... If I sold WinAmp to AOL for 400 million dollars when I was 19 I probably wouldn't worry much about selling my project, either :p

edit: The post this was in response to was deleted.

I see nothing even remotely informative about, or even relevant to, this discussion on that site, only things they are selling... and now I see, from your other thread, that you work for that company. sigh... Can you link to a page there that has anything to do with this thread?

Last edited:
What are the pros and cons of the popular programs like cakewalk, reason, ableton, logic, pro tools protools
The reality is that if you ask 100 people this, you'll get 100 different answers. One person's pro is another person's con and what you might see as a con, someone else might not.
So the bottom line is that sooner or later, after research, you'll just have to take a chance.
Think of it like this for a moment ~ whatever you choose, if it was the only one available to you, you'd have to learn it wouldn't you ? Even if it wasn't all you wish it was. And then you'd get used to it, right ? Then you'd be able to make great music on it, yeah ?
Bah~bing !

I see nothing even remotely informative about, or even relevant to, this discussion on that site, only things they are selling... and now I see, from your other thread, that you work for that company. sigh... Can you link to a page there that has anything to do with this thread?

The day reaper sells out to a big guy i am going to hurl myself off a cliff.

I have logic, protools, ableton, studio one...and have used sonar

I find arranging in ableton by far the easiest and generally mix in studio one, its mixer window is the best for a one monitor set up imo

Logic and protools dont really get used at the moment, they feel more clunky for want of a better word

But any will get the job done...i like ableton for its flexibility and its scene view...coupled with a launchpad and touchable on an ipad its great for sketcing and get ideas down

I think for *basic* tracking/editing/mixing...you could buy any of a couple of dozen apps and not notice a heck of a lot of difference...it's when you delve deeper and get into the finer points of various tasks that one app will outperform another, and there IS a difference in the audio engines from one DAW to another.
On top of that...personal tastes and working methodologies might make one app appear better than another...so it's not a simple comparison of features to weed out worst from the best.
I've used a bunch of different apps, but have been using Samplitude as my DAW for about 10 years now, and probably will stay with it well into the future.

there IS a difference in the audio engines from one DAW to another.
OMFG!! Are you seriously that far out of touch? It is absolutely the standard now that if your code somehow makes the DAW not perfectly null out with every other DAW (which all DO null out with each other) - that you have broken the fundamental code base. So tell me, miro - which group of developers do you think can't do basic addition? My team can - the reaper team has proven time and again that their algorithms produce EXACTLY the same results as everybody else - so... who's the tard who can't add? Or the 'tards who can't add goodly?

OMFG!! Are you seriously that far out of touch? It is absolutely the standard now that if your code somehow makes the DAW not perfectly null out with every other DAW (which all DO null out with each other) - that you have broken the fundamental code base. So tell me, miro - which group of developers do you think can't do basic addition? My team can - the reaper team has proven time and again that their algorithms produce EXACTLY the same results as everybody else - so... who's the tard who can't add? Or the 'tards who can't add goodly?

LOL! Relax man.

Dude yea, lol. What that reads like and how I meant it are totally not the same. My little 4g internet box just overheated. Im writing from my phone - miro, if you read that, wait till my computers back on line. Ill clarify and stuff

Ok, lol. I was on the phone... we laughed, and I got carried away because it's just so... totally not right. The reality of the situation is that audio devs, be it for some general purpose API or a DAW or whatever - are not in competition with each other as far as "audio engines" go. It's just not like that. What's actually going on - is that if you introduce some code that makes your math incorrect, and thus your results don't perfectly null with everybody else (even while they all perfectly null out together)... it's embarrassing. It's a bug - it means you're not doing it right and it will totally get you called in on Sunday at 11:52pm if the release goes out Monday. I didn't mean to be all "OMFG!" on you, miro.... It's just that you're wrong about this, and it's affected me in such obnoxious ways, that it made me kinda excited in it's unexpectedness. I hope you understand... And if not - I don't know how to make this ok, now, actually - I'm socially retarded.

<3 ?

If you define audio engine as simply the part of a DAW that handles the audio file after conversion and the summing at mixdown...then yes, it's all just math and there shouldn't be any differences in how math is handled, though there can be finer precision from DAW to DAW, depending on which math it's using...though that precision is at the outer limits of our hearing, but still there.
When I say "audio engine", I am talking about the whole DAW package...how a DAW handles all the processing/plugs, panning, time/pitch-stretching...etc, since all those things are treating the audio in some way, and the algorithms for those things are not identical from DAW to DAW.

But I doubt anyone could even set up two DAWs to identically handle a complete mix in the same exact way in order to compare their math. There will always be differences in the way each DAW implements the GUI, how it lets you work....which can also lead to final differences in your finished product.
IOW...just considering that all DAWs should handle math the same way (which is true)...isn't the complete picture of what kind of final product you will get with DAW A or B or C....

I know of at least one Daw that has a poorer summing engine, i know, i use it

And the same file bounced down on different Daws sounds better quality

I know the arguments, but its pretty distinct and i know others that have noticed the same.

I also remember when Reason went from version 3 to 4, they even said theyd had addressed the 'reason' sound in the update. So maybe some of them need a wee bit more work ;)

I could never get reason to work for me for some reason. I loved the drum machine they offered. I just couldn't figure it out.

Back