Best recording mixer when you only need 2 channels

asphyxia30

hi great boffins!

ok so i need to mix down my tracks really pro sounding. I only need 2 channels from my computer setup via breakout box and then to a desk. I got a mackie 1202 for starters as i only need 2 channels, i didnt know whether something bigger with MORE channels would mean better desk? i would love that answer for starters!

but my main question, and i dont mind older analogue type desks);
WHICH IS THE BEST DESK FOR MASTERING/RECORDING WHEN YOU ONLY REQUIRE 2 CHANNELS?!

if it were a dream, i would like each person to give me their top 3 that fit my criteria. cheerios! are yum:)my

i meant to say too i really like this little mackie but its like porking an ugly girl, you can go at it a while but you know sooner or later you gonna want to humnp something better:cool:

WHICH IS THE BEST DESK FOR MASTERING/RECORDING WHEN YOU ONLY REQUIRE 2 CHANNELS?!
First of all, you don't need any mixer whatsoever for mastering.

Second, for recording, you only need two channels of what: Are you saying you only need to mix down multiple channels live to two channels and record two channels only at one time? Or are you saying you only have two channels at a time to record.

If it's the former, then the knee-jerk answer is "Spend you money on quality multi-channel A/D instead, and record the tracks seperately." If it's the later, then you have no need for a mixer.

G.

im quite oldskool, not technical at all. I need to do something to improve the quality of the overall sound before its too late! ive been told the music is good so its the mastering i need to sort. I HATE mastering with software so i wanna do it thru a desk something top o the range.

so i plan to:

1.) record my tracks from the pc to a dat machine via the m audio delta 4/4 breakout box.

2.) then run the recorded DAT tracks through a Mixer using the eq, and sample them back into the pc at the highest quality rate.

i tried this with the mackie 1202 and noticed an improved sound no doubt. But im going top of the range and want an outstanding desk to replace the mackie.

im quite oldskool, not technical at all. I need to do something to improve the quality of the overall sound before its too late! ive been told the music is good so its the mastering i need to sort. I HATE mastering with software so i wanna do it thru a desk something top o the range.

so i plan to:

1.) record my tracks from the pc to a dat machine via the m audio delta 4/4 breakout box.

2.) then run the recorded DAT tracks through a Mixer using the eq, and sample them back into the pc at the highest quality rate.

i tried this with the mackie 1202 and noticed an improved sound no doubt. But im going top of the range and want an outstanding desk to replace the mackie.

Im not sure I have really understood, so forgive me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you will ruin the tracks doing it like that.

You have a Delta 4/4, i.e. 4 in and 4 out. Why not just set up an insert on your DAW whereby you send the tracks out the m-audio card, through the mixer, and back into the m-audio card in 1 go? This will remove that extra stage of sampling that the dat machine has?

Yeah?... ;)

that sounds great waffle, didnt think it would be possible doing it in one go? this is why i rigged the dat up. i STILL dont think its possible!! so im going...

delta out to mixing desk, then desk out to monitor amp. so i now need to find an output on the mixer to back to the insert inputs on the delta and record it into ..say adobe audition.

when i tried it with the dat i was in a right pickle, i had a few beers too so i was forgetting which wires went where...:o not good !

ive been told the music is good so its the mastering i need to sort. I HATE mastering with software so i wanna do it thru a desk something top o the range.
Waiting until mastering to make something sound good is like waiting until dinner is on the table to make the food taste good. True old school says, "work on getting it right in the tracking and mixing; mastering is *supposed* to be about prepping you mixes for printing and publication, not for making your mixes sound good."

That said, if you want two channels of analog to be able to record or massage through, what you really want are two channels of rack mountable "channel strips" and not a whole mixer. First, there's no such thing as a quality pocket mixer of a form factor similar to your Mackie. That Mackie is about as good as it gets in that size, and frankly, the EQ and preamp sounds on that box are not all that good; if you think that EQ sounds good, you have a real revelation coming to you when you move to something of more quality than utility (I am a long time Mackie owner and user myself, so I'm not just brand-basihing).

Look into a quality channel strip; they are of varying quality depending upon how much you can afford. To fulfill you dream of multiple examples on my part (from great/expensive to good/affordable):

Avalon VT-737sp (x2)
Universal Audio LA610 (x2)
Drawmer MX60 (x2)
ART ProChannel (x2)
Focusrite TwinTrak Pro

G.

Back