best recording book, fullsail

platinumcool

okay, im in the market for a good homerecording book.

***i plan on reading it front to cover, im not a beginner as far as terminology and whats going on in basic recording, editing, and mastering, software, setup, equip navigation, etc. i want to get in depth.

i also soon plan on taking some recording classes at my university and may choose to go for a recording tech degree(i am going to, looking at schools) any advice from the masters out there? i know internship is important, i was checking out fullsail.

i wanted a good book/textbook, that i can read and learn in my hobby/free time. i plan on purchasing a midi book titled THE MIDI FILES by rob young, it was recomended by a fellow triton user.

i have searched and found tons of books and explored this forum. i guess what im looking for is opinions and why you like that book.

thanks for your input i appreciate it

Hi, Stay away from Full Sail. I went there. They do teach you a lot, but IMO it's waaayy too expensive, and doesn't help you when getting a job. Some studio owners actually shy away from students from Full Sail. You stand a lot better chance taking what knowledge you have and just starting an internship. Hope your ready to work for free for a long time.
So grab your ankles, grit your teeth...welcome to the recording industry.

It all happend a long time ago......

Don't spend a fortune of money going to recording school.....
Don't think there are good studios waiting for interns......

Take your money and find a good studio that has a good engineer and pay him to learn. Have him give you lessons and at the same time tell him you'll work for free after learning hours.
Tell him you'll even clean the studio and wash dishs for free.

You go to a school and you sit three people down at the console and tell them to mix a song....3 people at the same time...what a joke. You spend money that could get you 300 hours of your own time in a decent studio were you can record a full band, mix, and
learn a hell of a lot more then going to school. I have seen a lot of interns never getting even that close to a console for that many hours at the period of 2 years. Your paying you decide !.

You just have to work hard and eat dirt for a while....after that your on your way....to eating more dirt... :cool:

I second, third, and forth Shailat's advice here!

When you think about it, how many people a year combined go through recording schools? THOUSANDS!!! Do you really think the market can bear that many "interns" and "second engineers"? Hell no!

I agree too that many studios shy away from Full Sail grads (ESPCIALLY smaller studios where you are most apt to get some type of internship at in the first place....). Too many of their grads think because they spent all that money that they are "da bomb". I have dealt with my share of recording school grads, and generally dont' find them to actually be able to engineer any better than somebody with the same amount of experience in engineering (which is little....).

Good luck.

Ed

thanks for your input. i have learned that the general opinion is that full sail is not worth it, also that the best experience is internship and starting from the bottom up.

i completely agree and understand. the amount of money spent could get me an awesome set up.

well, what books do you guys recomend for "technical information"?

and has anyone heard of the school IAR?

ive been browsing the yellow pages for some local recording studios, i plan on calling/writing them and visiting them for internship/grunt work.

i still however plan on taking a few classes at my university, its nice though because im full time english major, and between 12 and 18 credits are priced the same, so i can take extra recording classes.

thanks for you advice.

one good book...

"Modern Recording Techniques" by Huber & Runstein. Not homerecording actually, but an all-encompassing audio recording bible (imho). Fourth edition or greater. Covers lotsa thingies starting from sound and hearing, through to studio acoustics, micropone design and application, analog recorders, digital, midi, sync'ing digital/analog equipment , amps, consoles, signal processors, monitors etc.

There isn't any one book.
That said though, get a copy of the Audio Cyclopedia, 1st edition. It's big (1757 pages), it's old, (published in 1959, hell it's antique now) but it is incredible. The second one was good but nowhere near as good as the original. It teaches you the basics. Tubes, acoustics, circuits. It was invaluable when I got the bug. I wish I hadn't lost it. I saw one for sale on ebay last year, I think it went for $60. Now the cheapest one I could find on the web was $125. Worth every penny even today. No, it doesn't have any of the digital stuff but if you know and understand the analog stuff the digital comes easy. Truly a masterpiece.

Ya'know, the title of this thread made me think of something. SS454 has his fullsail text binder. That was a really exaustive source for all the basic aspects of recording for me. Everything from proper signal flow to a rundown on all the signal processing options to patchbays to ...well you get the idea. Maybe some disgruntled fool sail grad will cooy it for users of the forum. Shit I could make a pdf and offer it as a download from this site. I would have to ask SS454 about that.

Could full sail sue if it's non profit...probably. Do I have any money? No. I don't even think it's copyrighted.

Sue away!!:D

The Mixing Engineers Handbook, by Bobby Owsinski

I bought it, loved it, and learned alot about mixing from it. I later found out that it is actually a text book here at my school (Indiana University). I am not a fan of text books at all, but this one is an exception!

AL

btw, it doesn't really cover a whole lot of actual recording tho....Sorry, just realized that you are asking for a "recording" book....but...

AL

Re: yeah!

Flick said:
I'd love to read that PDF....always lookign for a good new read

Flick, are you referring to the fullsail text? If so email me, it would be some work but anything for home recorders. I'll scan the whole damn thing and email it to ya.

Back