Best programs for converting wav. files?

swatsds

American Sympathizer
I like to use Cool Edit Pro, and I don't know if it's just me, but when I try to save the file as a wma file, it is unable to do so and says the file is already in use, which doesn't make any sense . . .

but, since wav. files are so big, I was just wondering what different programs people prefer for converting to other formats, like mp3 or wma, with high quality being the goal.

If you are talking about individual tracks, you should use wav files. Anything else is a step down in quality.

Where are you talking about converting the files? Don't do it whilst you're working on them in Cool Edit. If you mean on mixing down, then do it to wav first, then convert to mp3 or whatever. A good mp3 converter is RazorLame. Google it - it's a free download.

I meant once the file is finished, exporting or converting the file to be burned onto a CD. Cool Edit seems to have a problem converting to wma files for some reason. So what would be the highest quality program to get a wav file from Cool Edit to another format suitable for burning to CD?

I meant once the file is finished, exporting or converting the file to be burned onto a CD. Cool Edit seems to have a problem converting to wma files for some reason. So what would be the highest quality program to get a wav file from Cool Edit to another format suitable for burning to CD?

swatsds said:

I am not clear what you are trying to accomplish. You should burn it to an Audio CD as a wav file. Any CD burning program (Nero, etc.) should be able to do this. Only convert to MP3 for upload onto a website, MP3 player, or if you a making an MP3 (Data) CD for an enabled player (to put a bunch of music on). A 4 minute wav takes up the exact same amount of space on an Audio CD as does a 4 minute MP3/WMA/AIFF, etc. Right? Even if you are making a Data disc for backup, you should save it as a wav file, or another lossless format. CDRs are cheap, and you'd be better off backing up an uncompressed version of your stuff anyway.

scrubs said:
A 4 minute wav takes up the exact same amount of space on an Audio CD as does a 4 minute MP3/WMA/AIFF, etc. Right?
Wrong. a 4 minute wave takes as much space as a aiff. But mp3s/wma/ram take up less room. That is why you get more songs on a CD with those formats. However they don't sound as good.
Back everything up as wavs.

Farview said:
Wrong. a 4 minute wave takes as much space as a aiff. But mp3s/wma/ram take up less room. That is why you get more songs on a CD with those formats. However they don't sound as good.
Back everything up as wavs.

My bad. I thought Audio CDs went by the length of material rather than by memory (i.e. - a 74 minute audio CD holds ~74 min of audio, regardless of the source format). I don't think my CD burning program will let me put a bunch more MP3s on an Audio CD (for playback on any system), just because they are smaller files (referring to time, not space). It runs out of disc time at ~74 min. Obviously, if you are making a Data CD, MP3s take up less space because they are fewer MB. I am confused. :confused:

scrubs said:
My bad. I thought Audio CDs went by the length of material rather than by memory (i.e. - a 74 minute audio CD holds ~74 min of audio, regardless of the source format). I don't think my CD burning program will let me put a bunch more MP3s on an Audio CD (for playback on any system), just because they are smaller files (referring to time, not space). It runs out of disc time at ~74 min. Obviously, if you are making a Data CD, MP3s take up less space because they are fewer MB. I am confused. :confused:
An audio CD is always a PCM format (like a .wav) in order to burn an mp3 disc, you must choose data disc.
If you are writing mp3s to an audio disc, the burning software is converting it back to a PCM format (like .wav) before it puts it on the CD. That is the only way for all CD players to play it and that is why you run out of room at 74 minutes.

Farview said:
An audio CD is always a PCM format (like a .wav) in order to burn an mp3 disc, you must choose data disc.
If you are writing mp3s to an audio disc, the burning software is converting it back to a PCM format (like .wav) before it puts it on the CD. That is the only way for all CD players to play it and that is why you run out of room at 74 minutes.

I hear you. That is what I was asking the original poster: whether he/she was trying to burn to an Audio CD or make a Data CD from MP3s? If he/she is making an Audio CD, it makes no sense to compress the files to MP3 format, just to "re-expand" them onto an audio CD (because data is lost in the MP3 creation from a wav) -- he/she should just use the wav to make the CD. He/she should also use wav for backing up audio, as it is lossless, despite the fact that it will take up more space than MP3s.

O.K., I feel better now. For a second I thought I was losing my mind. :)

Hi,

Nero works well for making CDs. For 'ripping' mp3s from your files, Windows Media Player 10 does it.
A good free Wav/Mp3/Ogg "back-and-forth" converter is Audacity (audacity.com) You can set the quality levels of the formats too.

Best,

CC

Back