Best Processor for the job

CounterToAttack

ok.. i submit my computer is less than adequate with my cyrix processor and so i guess ill have to upgrade before i start recording.

this is where the brilliant minds of the board come together and guide me to the best processor/adequate processor for the job.

After long thought and sifting I have come to the decision that i shall purchase the Omni Studio (M-audio delta 66 soundcard) as it has all i want and it has its advantages over the aardvark being that i definetely wanna record electric guitar and the difference in price will help me upgrade my computer. Soooooo...
What Processors work best with this recording card.. it doesnt have to be the ultimate 2Ghz beast. just a step up processor which will provide me with speed, quality and enough tracks to play about with. Im not too good on these things, so an idea of make, price and all that motherboard stuff i know nothing about will be most welcome..

Richard

I'm using a 1Ghz P3 and recording 8 tracks at a time. No problems.

Don't forget the ram. 256 works for me but I don't do any midi.

when i got my delta 66 in the spring, m-audio was sweet on the asus cusl2c board.....positive reviews on this board made me decide to go with it...i was set on getting a p3 , since i figured that most of the stuff on the market was tested with a p3 at the time. i have a one gig system and it works great....however, if i were to build a system today, i'd take a hard look at the new AMD processors.........after i put the p3 together, i concluded that the maindboard is the most important thing....when the pc salesperson says you shouldn't waste time upgrading, just get a new system...this means that you need a new motherboard, but what the heck why not get all new components AND a new monitor? ;)

j w/ dedicated member ;););)

My friend for an ASUS somethign or other a Athlon 1.4gHz and 256Mb DDR ram for $260. if you already ahve a computer that has an ATX power supply, a case, a cd drive, floppy and hard disk, you might not need anything more then a $260 upgrade. not a whole computer.

Oh.. im not buying a whole new computer, i think it was "j" who started that rumour. i just need..*deep breath* a new processor and so a new motherboard with either graphics onboard or ill be needing a graphics card, 256mb of ram and a larger(5gb)/faster(7200rpm) hard drive. Which is nearly a new computer without the moniter and the drives and i need it all at a low affordable cost - £150 -> £200 - ish the lower the better.

RiCHaRD

ahh you're brit.

right, well i was thinking about beefing up my parents computer when i was in london this summer and i figured that for 400 pounds i could get a new mobo, ram, and hd. so they could be up to speed with win2k etc. Its much more expensive there, if you are taking a lesser route i think for 200 pounds you should maybe be able to snag up a good mobo, crucial.com ram(only buy this, the rest is crap. They have a UK group as well you can get from .com site) and probably an underpowered Athlon. im not totally in the know with the prices in england right now, but i know 24 gets you 256mb http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.asp an AMD Athlon over 1gHz for under 100 inc. vat at http://www.dabs.co.uk and an Asus or abit mobo for a little more then 100 inc. vat at http://www.dabs.co.uk as well. Call them and ask them if they can match up a proc and mobo for you if you dont know how to match them up. DONT GET ONBOARD video, its horrible. Get an old matrox G200 or something along those lines, get matrox, used or new, just older and its 2D will be stunning, you cant beat matrox for 2D. thats probably around 230. a little over your budget, but then again the graphics card will save your eyes. Opticians will cost more then 30 quid!

i knew what you ment "j" it was just the context of it which gave "Kristian" the wrong idea. Ill stop name dropping now. It looks like i can get a 1Ghz Athlon for £70 and 256mb p133 Ram for £30. That just leaves a socket A motherboard of which ive heard the ASUS are a good make. and i dont really play games alot so ill just get a cheap useful graphics card off ebay or somewhere. Im all confused with what sockets i need on the motherboard at the moment. AGP, PCI, USB i kinda know what these mean but i dont know how many i need?

RiCHaRD

Yea, ASUS or Abit are a good make. Stick with them and you wont have any problems. AGP is a Accelerated Graphics Port its for AGP graphics cards. PCI cards are what M-Audio, Echo Audio, and basically any other soundcard you buy will give you as your soundcard. USB isnt a port that a card goes into. Its more like a plug on the back of the computer which you can stick webcams, mice, keyboards, and some of the newer portable sound cards. But it has limited bandwith, so only 4 channels are maxed out.

Im knid of in the same situation as CounterToAttack. Im woundering if there's any great dissadvantage to using a P4 (which is what im thinking of getting). I've heard that they were slower than P111 but i would have thought the 1.7Gig or 1.8Gig chip should have overcome this problem.
Also ive heard a bit of discussion about what version on Windows to get that is most stable and its left me a little confused. I'm planning on buying a Delta 66 Omni Studio package and Logic gold (alone with the other stuff needed for a studio eg mics). Can anyone give me an idea on what version of windows will work best with this and what chips will give me the best performance.

I think there are alot of people in this same situation at the moment. Ive searched these boards many a time and theres alot about the omni studio and what works best. Currently im up to the point of getting an AMD 1Ghz (£70 on ebay) or there abouts processor as a good friend of mine says there "probably" better than PIII's and are cheaper. That being recommended i spent 4 hours looking at motherboards and came to the conclusion that the Asus A7V (around £75) and the Abit KT7A (around £100) are probably the best, though the Asus is cheaper so again this is what ill probably go for. I know that M-audio have got something on there website about Via chipsets (as in the asus) causing noises when recording but it goes on to tell you how to stop it. As for RAM im just gonna get 256mb P133 (£25 on ebay) at the moment. And as for an graphics card im not a big game player so im gonna get a 2nd hand one off ebay for about £10-£20, and of course the omni studio after i spent weeks shortening my list of soundcards. I hope that helps you abit coldash ive spent along time researching, im not saying this is what you should get , by the sounds of it the PIII works great as well with the omni studio.
I will say that searching through this board is the best thing you could do, there are alot of people who know what there talking about and who can point you in the right direction

RiCHaRD

Back