Best processor for PT

jman1986

hey all, i am looking to "build to order" a new computer from tigerdirect.com for my PT rig. And first is first, what processor(s) should i get? i am looking at an intel core 2 quad, or maybe should i get an AMD?

what would run pro tools better?
I am planing to use alot of plugins so i need a processor to do it.
the system will have 4gb of ram or more.

I no there are websites like "ibuypower", "ecost", and "newegg" also.

any suggestions?

buy reaper.

That doesn't help anyone. Get with the spirit of the forum.

To the OP: I would stick to Intel processors. Look at the qualified machines - HP xw8600, Dell Precision 690, Dell T5400, Dell T7400. Consider mirroring one of those.

Also read the compatibility pages from cover to cover. Finally I'd recommend reading pages on the DUC regarding succesful configurations. I believe the relevant threads are as stickies in the LE forums. Here's a link to the DUC(k)

I believe the processor that performed the best on the "pro tools test" was the intel i7 processors. I am running an i7 and haven't had any cpu bottlenecking on any of my tracks. While cpu use (maybe obviously) was a problem with my single core AMD 1.8 ghz processor.

Good luck, Eric

i'm runnin tip top on a q9550@3.4ghz

it guess it's a bit analog vs digital or mac vs pc, but i've always used intel processors.

thanks everyone! here is computer i think i am ging to buy, i built it thru ibuypower.com:

I hoping 4gb ram wil be able to take the processors lol. or if i might need more?

Case ( Nzxt Guardian 921 Gaming Tower Case - w/ NVIDIA Side Window )
Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (4x 2.83GHz/12MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )
Motherboard ( [SLI] Asus P5N-D -- Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB - EPU Technology )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module - Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT – 1GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards) )
Case Lighting ( None )
Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready )
Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
Primary Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE - [16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s] )
2nd Hard Drive ( None )
2nd Optical Drive ( 16X DVD-ROM Drive - Black )
Optical Drive ( None )
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Monitor ( None )
Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )
Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse - Black )
Operating System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )
Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )
Video Camera ( None )
Power Protection ( None )
Headset ( None )
Meter Display ( None )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )
MP3/MP4 Player ( None )
USB Flash Drive ( None )
2nd Monitor ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
Netbook / Notebook Bundle ( None )

I hoping 4gb ram wil be able to take the processors lol. or if i might need more?

If your running Windows it is pointless to have more than 4gb of ram. PT doesn't support a 64bit version of windows yet so you will only be able to utilize close to 4 gigs of ram anyways. Having said that, I run some pretty big sessions on a PC with 4 gigs of ram and an INTEL Duo Core chip and haven't had any issues.

ok great! thanks so much! i do have a second 300gb hhd i am going to add to the system to record to.

Good.

Despite what has been said it is pretty much essential.

Using the system drive will lead to a decrease in performance, and quite possibly shorten the life of the drive ;)

Back