Best preamps for the price!

inmyheartx

Mackie Onyx 800R or Focusrite OctoPre with Digital Card.

I'm currently tracking drums through a Firepod, and everything else through and MBox. Now, i'm trying to find better sounding preamps. I will be upgrading to a Digi002 or Digi003, and plan on getting a good 8Chan Preamp strip using ADAT. I know I can use the Firepod, but I don't really like the way the preamps sound.. Don't really sound that clear. If you can give me advice about the ones I listed, or even recommend something else, let me know! Thank you. =]

GOODLAND said:
As far as 8 Ch. ADAT preamps go, the M-Audio Octane is reasonably priced/decent quality.

Is it better quality than the Mackie or the Focusrite? I'm willing to spend around $1000, no more than that. I know the M-Audio is a little cheaper, but if the quality is around the same then saving the money would be awesome.. but only if the quality is around the same or far better than the Firepod.

inmyheartx said:
Is it better quality than the Mackie or the Focusrite? I'm willing to spend around $1000, no more than that. I know the M-Audio is a little cheaper, but if the quality is around the same then saving the money would be awesome.. but only if the quality is around the same or far better than the Firepod.

If you are looking for something better AND want to get your moneys worth. I would keep what you have and save to get something with a little higher quality. You will not be making a big enough improvement to justify spending your money on gear at the same level. I am going through the same thing with my mic pres, so I feel your frustration.

What microphones are you using to record your drums? Your money might be better off there for now.

inmyheartx said:

What you are "willing" to spend has nothing to do with whether the kind of unit you desire is available for that price.

Eight channel preamp units tend to come in two flavors: budget and expensive. I don't think there is much between. $1,000 for eight preamps is budget (about $125 a preamp), so any unit you are looking at is just a variation on that. Look around at single channel units costing $125 or so to get an idea of what $1,000 for eight preamps will get you.

If you are looking for "far better" then you need to spend "far more" money.

That said, I personally would take the Mackie over the other two. I'd also take a look at the Yamaha MLA8, and pair it with an eight channel converter (since it doesn't have the converters built in).

GOODLAND said:
As far as 8 Ch. ADAT preamps go, the M-Audio Octane is reasonably priced/decent quality.

+1

I use my Octane on lots of things, but I'm especially impressed with it on drums. I haven't recorded stereo OH's in anything but M-S since I used the Octane's built-in M-S matrix. This thing has LOTS of headroom, besides being well focused and transparent. Definately on the clean side of the sonic spectrum. ADAT lightpipe as well as analog innies and outies. ;)

i'd be curious as to the differences between the m-audio pre's and the mackie onyx pre's.

kid klash said:
+1

I use my Octane on lots of things, but I'm especially impressed with it on drums. I haven't recorded stereo OH's in anything but M-S since I used the Octane's built-in M-S matrix. This thing has LOTS of headroom, besides being well focused and transparent. Definately on the clean side of the sonic spectrum. ADAT lightpipe as well as analog innies and outies. ;)

Have you used your Octane with multiple channels (more than 4) using phantom power? Did it remain quiet?
Thanks.

Fishmed_Returns said:
If you are looking for something better AND want to get your moneys worth. I would keep what you have and save to get something with a little higher quality. You will not be making a big enough improvement to justify spending your money on gear at the same level. I am going through the same thing with my mic pres, so I feel your frustration.

What microphones are you using to record your drums? Your money might be better off there for now.

I use the following setup usually:

Kick - AKG D112
Snare - SM57
Toms - Audix F10
Overheads - Matched R0DE NT5

Another reason for the upgrade was that I was going to sell the Firepod and get a Digi002 and I wanted to get some preamps via ADAT, and I figured the Mackie or Focusrite would be an upgrade from the Firepod.. If not then I guess I can take this route..

Sell the Firepod
Get a Digi002 (Use the 4 Preamps + Line In)
Buy a really good 2 CH (Trident S20?) Preamp

I figure I could use the Trident for Overheads / GTRs / Bass / Vocals / Etc. I've heard good things about these preamps, but if there's anything else around the same price range let me know. I think this might be a better investment. What do you dudes think?

inmyheartx said:
I use the following setup usually:

Kick - AKG D112
Snare - SM57
Toms - Audix F10
Overheads - Matched R0DE NT5

Another reason for the upgrade was that I was going to sell the Firepod and get a Digi002 and I wanted to get some preamps via ADAT, and I figured the Mackie or Focusrite would be an upgrade from the Firepod.. If not then I guess I can take this route..

Sell the Firepod
Get a Digi002 (Use the 4 Preamps + Line In)
Buy a really good 2 CH (Trident S20?) Preamp

I figure I could use the Trident for Overheads / GTRs / Bass / Vocals / Etc. I've heard good things about these preamps, but if there's anything else around the same price range let me know. I think this might be a better investment. What do you dudes think?

It just occured to me, what software are you using now? Are you planning on switching over to the ProTools?

"for the price" I would always choose M-Audio.
In fact, I really have a hard time justifying anything more expensive. The DMP3, and evenm thec old "Audio Buddy" are about as claen and accurate as I can imagine.

The Axis said:
"for the price" I would always choose M-Audio.
In fact, I really have a hard time justifying anything more expensive. The DMP3, and evenm thec old "Audio Buddy" are about as claen and accurate as I can imagine.

You need to hear something really good then, it will blow your mind. I can tell you really do listen to what you are hearing, so I think you'll be amazed when you hear something that is better than you can imagine.

BobbyReed said:
Have you used your Octane with multiple channels (more than 4) using phantom power? Did it remain quiet?
Thanks.

Hi Bobby,

Yes, I've tracked with all eight channels at one time, using condensers (48v phantom) on six of the eight channels, and it remained extremely quiet. Plenty of headroom too. No probs. The power supply for the Octane is as big as many large multi-channel mixer power supplies. ;)

kid klash said:
Hi Bobby,

Yes, I've tracked with all eight channels at one time, using condensers (48v phantom) on six of the eight channels, and it remained extremely quiet. Plenty of headroom too. No probs. The power supply for the Octane is as big as many large multi-channel mixer power supplies. ;)

Thanks Much.

get a used digimax 96k, you can get one for likr 600 or so.

nice piece, went for like 1300+ new. i've never used the others though, but the mackie looks nice.

Fishmed_Returns said:
It just occured to me, what software are you using now? Are you planning on switching over to the ProTools?

Well right now I track drums into Cubase, then Import the audio files to Pro Tools using my MBox. I want to completely skip that entire process and just record my drums directly into Pro Tools, shit takes too long and sometimes can cause problems. =] This is why I want to get a Digi002, but in the process I also want better preamps. Get what i'm saying?

inmyheartx said:
Well right now I track drums into Cubase, then Import the audio files to Pro Tools using my MBox. I want to completely skip that entire process and just record my drums directly into Pro Tools, shit takes too long and sometimes can cause problems. =] This is why I want to get a Digi002, but in the process I also want better preamps. Get what i'm saying?

I hear ya and don't blame you one bit.
Seeing that the Firepod does not have an ADAT out, you very well cannot keep using it. I know this is a littlet above your $1000 limit, but if you could save up just a little more, you could the Focusrite ISA428. That would save you money in the long run, and here why:

1. The Digi003 has 4 mic pres and the ISA428 will give you 4 more (using the line ins on the Digi003); that will give you the 8 to get started.
  2. You can upgrade the ISA428 at a later date with the Digital Card option which will allow you to use the ADAT I/O.
  3. After getting the Digital Card for the ISA428, you could then add better mic pres to your set up to replace those on the Digi003, and you would send them through the ISA428's ADAT conection.

In addition to the the resons above, you would not have to try and sell a low end piece of gear that you bought just to get you by. I have bought stuff to JUST get me by before and have regreted it because the money I could have used to go towards something better was used on something less, and it puts that nicer equipment more out of reach.

Good luck with your decision. :)

Fishmed_Returns said:
if you could save up just a little more, you could the Focusrite ISA428.

This is the best suggestion yet, in my opinion! It would work great with a Digi 003.

You need to hear something really good then, it will blow your mind. I can tell you really do listen to what you are hearing, so I think you'll be amazed when you hear something that is better than you can imagine.
Well, two of my other preamps owned are the Great River MP2 and the Earthworks 1022. I was a real fanatic about "accuracy" so I always wanted to hear exactly what the real sound was. That is why the opinion of what sounds "good" varies among people. I like the preamp to sound like NOTHING....just a wire with gain.
That is why the M-Audio stuff always seemed so amazing (for the price) to me. I would really have a hard time distinguishing it from the Earthworks. The Great River was definitely slightly "colored" but in a way that many people find pleasant...as if it had a wee bit of "exciter" type phase shifting on the upper frequencies.
My feeling is that if you want "color", change mikes or get an effects box. A preamp should be judged by its TRANSPARENCY.
But whatever sounds "good" to you IS good.

One of my main points is simply that electronic components and signal processing is so advanced and cheap nowadays that even very cheap preamps sound very good. One would be much better off buying a cheap preamp and spending their money on high-end microphones, which really do make a big difference to the sound. Time and time again, in preamp "shootouts" even self-proclaimed audiophiles either can't tell the difference between preamps or end up choosing the cheaper ones as sounding better. ....if it is a BLIND A/B test.
If they can see which preamp is being tested, they always choose the more expensive one. :)

Back