Best place to shop in Manhattan?

Neeps

Hello homerecorders

I'm off to New York City for a shork break at the beginning of March and was wondering where to find the good shops to pick up studio gear?

Often the mics I read about on here are expensive in the UK and i thought the good exchange rate and cheap prices might help persuade the girlfriend that what we really need is more recording equipment!

Any ideas?

Cheers
Barn Owl

On 48th street there are several music stores - Manny's, Sam Ash, Rudy's, etc. - check them all before you buy anything. Also be sure to stop by B&H photovideo, which carries almost anything you might be interested in.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Happy hunting. =Rez

dont forget about b and h photo/video.

theres good stuff on 48th like they mentioned.

there used to be an awesome high end guitar place, i htink it was 48th street music or seomthing, but i think they moved somewhere..

Thanks guys that will get me going... I'm staying not far from BH Photo Video so that's handy.

Alas my dream of coming home with a suitcase full of new mics is not going to happen. I think I'm just going to settle for one more cheap mic to give me a different colour because if I'm sensible the rest of the budget should go on acoustic treatment.

At the moment I've got:

1 x Red5 Audio RV15
1 x AKG c3000b
1 x MXL v67
2 x studio projects C4's
1 x shure sm58

I was thinking of getting another budget mic in the mxl/studio projects range. Any ideas for a different colour that I have at the moment. I don't want to end up buying something similar to what I have. For instance... I heard Harvey say that if you have a MXL v67 then probably best not to bother with a Studio projects C1 cos they are similar.

Was thinking maybe a MXL v69? Whaddya think? Different enough? Anyone heard the v69 next to a Red5 RV15?

I liked Manny's a lot more than Sam Ash the last time I was in NYC (a little over a year ago). Manny's didn't seem as cool as what I remembered from the last time I was there, but that could be because I was a little more "starstruck" the first time I went there (I think I was a junior in high school). I did pick up a nice used Gibson bass at Sam Ash my first time around, though.

There are a lot of smaller speciality shops in the 48th st area. Drums shops, vintage and high end guitar shops. Take a whole day just to look around. It's great fun.
You can find some great deals at B&H. I used to work for a photo company and B&H used to buy our most expensive flash by the hundreds. The company was able to sell them to B&H cheaper than anyone else because of the quanity. What B&H did was then sell the flashes for less than they paid for them. When we asked why they said what money they lost on the flashes they would more than makeup by the same people buying accessories (which always have a high markup). Great marketing.

I only visit and look at the Manhattan shops... I refuse to pay the completely out of control sales tax (8.38%??). Look, touch, try etc. in the shops, but find somewhere online that you can buy without paying sales tax. If you spend enough many even offer free shipping.

Barn Owl said:
Thanks guys that will get me going... I'm staying not far from BH Photo Video so that's handy.

Alas my dream of coming home with a suitcase full of new mics is not going to happen. I think I'm just going to settle for one more cheap mic to give me a different colour because if I'm sensible the rest of the budget should go on acoustic treatment.

At the moment I've got:

1 x Red5 Audio RV15
1 x AKG c3000b
1 x MXL v67
2 x studio projects C4's
1 x shure sm58

I was thinking of getting another budget mic in the mxl/studio projects range. Any ideas for a different colour that I have at the moment. I don't want to end up buying something similar to what I have. For instance... I heard Harvey say that if you have a MXL v67 then probably best not to bother with a Studio projects C1 cos they are similar.

Was thinking maybe a MXL v69? Whaddya think? Different enough? Anyone heard the v69 next to a Red5 RV15?

If you really want something very different, get a cheap ribbon like a CAD 7000.

P.S. If you want to go into a really nice guitar store just to look at the cool instruments (not a bargain place)...and maybe bump into Lou Reed (I did several times when I was growing up in NY), go to Matt Umanov on Bleecker St.

Anyone else second the Cad 7000?

No I'm not from Senital (whatever that is).... i think you've got the wrong barn owl.

Barn Owl said:
Anyone else second the Cad 7000?

No I'm not from Senital (whatever that is).... i think you've got the wrong barn owl.

Ok... Well, another place to go to is Carmine Street Guitars... It's off bleecker, on the way to Matt Umanov and he's had his own little shop there for like 30 years... Reasonable work and reasonable guitars... A unique place in Manhattan...

Anyway, just thought you were the other barn owl, from a group...

tradivoro said:
Ok... Well, another place to go to is Carmine Street Guitars... It's off bleecker, on the way to Matt Umanov and he's had his own little shop there for like 30 years... Reasonable work and reasonable guitars... A unique place in Manhattan...

Agreed. And do yourself the biggest favor and get a slice at Joe's on Carmine and 6th (ok Ave of the Americas to you non NYers). That pizza sustained my throughout my childhood (and probably contributed to acne).

tradivoro said:

Agreed. And do yourself the biggest favor and get a slice at Joe's on Carmine and 6th (ok Ave of the Americas to you non NYers). That pizza sustained me throughout my childhood (and probably contributed to acne).

Manny's is owned by Sam Ash now. BTW, Samson brand gear is Sam Ash too. That's 48th and 7th ave.
Well, there's also guitar center on 14th and 5th. There's Ludlow guitar in the Lower East Side. And E Village Guitar around 4th St and Bway. And there's a bunch of DJ/PA type gear for cheap on Canal Street in Chinatown. You can talk those guys down too.

Back