best place to listen to a mix, after it leaves the studio.

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood you. My mistake.

You might still want to try that experiment I described. It's not something I'd ever recommend as an actual "fix", but it might at least help you narrow down somewhat exactly where and how big your problem may be, and may help you cut down on the number or re-mixes you need to do.

G.

I'll give it a try in a bit, when I have a little more time - if nothing else, it'll give me a good baseline to compare against when I start treating my room. Thanks! :D

No, actually, that's the exact problem I'd been having, that I could crank up the bass and by the time I finally got it sounding right, I'd take my mix out to my car, hit play, and be lost in a wash of low end. :p

Simply re-arranging my room did wonders - I had a thread on this a while back, I think, but I used to have my desk facing across the short side of my room, off to one side, and after rearranging I now have it centered with the longest part of my room behind it. I do need to do some bass trapping, but unfortunately I don't have the cash sitting around to do much right now. :/

Check the EQ settings on your iPod. Mine came with Bass Boost on by default. Really screwed me up when I was using it to check mixes. My stuff was rockin everywhere (wavs not MP3s) I could plug in the iPod. Car, living room, Best Buy stereo aisle, you name it.

Burned the master discs and popped 'em in on the way to FedEx...Holy crap! The bass was gone!

The Bass Boost on my iPod was on--and tricking me into cutting the low end. Turned the bass boost off, and yep, now the mixes on the iPod sounded just like the masters. Turned around and went back to work.

I still love the convenience of the iPod for portability (not to mention not burning a bunch of CDs through a project) but I'm anal about making sure the EQ is flat--completely turned off.

Check the EQ settings on your iPod. Mine came with Bass Boost on by default. Really screwed me up when I was using it to check mixes. My stuff was rockin everywhere (wavs not MP3s) I could plug in the iPod. Car, living room, Best Buy stereo aisle, you name it.

I don't remember if mine came that way or not - it was my first iPod, though, so I spent a lot of time playing with it because, well, because it was a new toy, and thus fun (the fact I bought it the week before a 7-week business trip to India helped, haha). Either way, I double checked and it's flat. Thanks though, I'd forgotten it even had EQ. :p

Back