Best overhead mics?

abm123

I am currently using a borrowed pair of Samson CO2 sd condenser mics and want to spend under 500 for a better pair. I have looked at the NT5's, KLM's, C4's and whatnot but i know nothing about how they sound. Are these good choices or would you reccommend something else. Also this is unrelated but i was wondering what LCD's were (someone was talking about them as a "room" mic).

Any of those options would probably be an improvement over what you're using now. You may want to include the Shure SM81s on your list. They are very accurate small diaphragm condensors. You may be able to find a used pair for under $500.

As far as room mics go, I think you're meaning LDCs which are large diaphragm condensors. These also work in pairs as overheads. A common LDC pair used as overheads is the AKG C414, not to be found for anywhere near $500 a pair though. Good luck.

I heard a recording done with a pair of Apex 435's as overheads (as well as other recordings on acoustic and voice) and was blown away by the bang-per-buck factor. You'd save a ton of money and still get a huge, clear sound! Some people have compared them to the Nuemann TLM 103's. Search the digidesign.com's DUC for some sounds of what people are doing with their 435's. I was very impressed - thought I'd share.

Good luck

I would like a pair of sm81 but on ebay it didn't look like they could be had for under about 575. What about the at 4041's. I've got a c1 and love it.... are the c4's as good? Also the mxl 603s have rave reviews even though they are really cheap. Any more suggestions?

abm123 said:
I would like a pair of sm81 but on ebay it didn't look like they could be had for under about 575. What about the at 4041's. I've got a c1 and love it.... are the c4's as good? Also the mxl 603s have rave reviews even though they are really cheap. Any more suggestions?

The C4's are very good inexpensive overheads. If you can still find Groove Tubes GT-44's on sale at Guitar Center for $199 ea, grab some. They are great overheads and very versatile for acoustic, amps, percussion etc. Both these mics soften the harsh edges a little.
A pair of Studio Projects B1's even work very well if you want to spend even less.

qbert1 said:
I heard a recording done with a pair of Apex 435's as overheads (as well as other recordings on acoustic and voice) and was blown away by the bang-per-buck factor. You'd save a ton of money and still get a huge, clear sound! Some people have compared them to the Nuemann TLM 103's. Search the digidesign.com's DUC for some sounds of what people are doing with their 435's. I was very impressed - thought I'd share.

Good luck

Aren't they copies of TLM 103s? Anyway, yeah, I'd endorse the 435s any day for that type of thing. They have a great sound as long as you know what you're doing. The more money you spend, the easier it is to get a mic to sit in a mix though, so you might have to fiddle more with the 435s cuz they have a brightness and a sound all their own.

Back