Best OS for N-track

caryindy

I'm running XP professional on an AMD 1.5g machine. The program is crashing. I've tried to track down which operation causes the program to die, and it sometimes even crashes when a song is playing and I'm not doing anything (eq adjustments, efx, etc). I have 512M ram and my CPU usage is typically 18 percent max.

1. Does anyone here run n-track on XP professional without program crashes?

2. Which operation system would be the best platform for N-track?

Thanks

N-Track is a sweet deal on W2k, at least for me.

Here's the thing about N-Track. It's a sensitive program, and Flavio likes to tweak with it, resulting in occasional glitches. Patience, and contact with the man, will get you where you need to go. :)

According to the manual I downloaded last week, OS is 9x, 2k or NT. I guess a visit to their site would give you the definitive answer.

He asked which OS is *best*, not which OS will it run on. I find that n-Track works best on Win2k, and should work fine on XP. On 9x it was touch & go...and I know I've heard flavio say that it's more stable on an NT based OS.

Anyhow, what soundcard are you using?

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks everyone!

I had emailed Flavio when I wrote this here and he has been working on the problem.

When I purchased N-track, I bough the compressor plug-in to work with it. It seems the simple compressor that comes along with version 1.1 causes a little problem with build 1406 of n-track.

First, Flavio sugested that the simple version of the compressor may be causing the problem. When I replaced the version 1.1 compressor in all places where I was using the simple version, the crash problem went away. Secondly, Flavio has a new build of N-track up on the site. I haven't installed the new build up - which is supposed to eliminate the problem with the compressor plug-ins.

Incidently, he said XP was the best platform to run the program on.

Slackmaster2K said:
He asked which OS is *best*, not which OS will it run on. I find that n-Track works best on Win2k, and should work fine on XP. On 9x it was touch & go...and I know I've heard flavio say that it's more stable on an NT based OS.

Anyhow, what soundcard are you using?

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster 2000,

I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy 2, whick came with the computer.

I'm only using the progam to mix as of now. The sound card is only being used during monitoring, so it doesn't affect sound quality of my recordings. I do all my tracking on a Boss BR8 and am using a BR8 to wav utility program to get wave files into n-track. So far, it's working out great.

Actually, the quality of D/A conversion is just as important to your mixing process as the quality of A/D conversion is to your tracking process!

Glad you got your problem fixed!

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:
Actually, the quality of D/A conversion is just as important to your mixing process as the quality of A/D conversion is to your tracking process!

Glad you got your problem fixed!

Slackmaster 2000

Yes, I am too! :)

Just for the record, and for discussion, I don't believe I'm using the soundcards D/A using my current method of operation.

I'll be more specific.

I track on a BR8. This device records to zip disks. After tracking, I insert the zip disk into a zip drive on my computer and it translates the Roland/boss track files into wav files. I then import the wave files into n-track. So far, the soundcard has not touched the data. When I'm done mixing, I burn the mixdown wav file onto a CDR using the computers CD recorder.

Am I wrong in assuming that the soundcard has nothing to do with moving mixed-down wave files onto a CDR using the software included with the computers CDR recorder?

The soundcard is responsible in this case for converting your digital data (the wave files) into analog voltage fluctations...this is D/A (or digital to analog) conversion. This process is very important as it plays a big role in what you hear.

The audigy is ok though, no reason to get into a binder just yet. Just know that two devices are not equal just because they are digital. Two different CD players with analog outputs will sound very differently from one another! Two different soundcards will sound different from one another!

Slackmaster 2000

Back