Best option to add additional inputs

affleckp

Hi, I am new to Homerecording.com BBS so I hope this is the correct forum. I have a Motu 898HD and am using Cubase SX. I am thinking about adding additional inputs to record Drum tracks. Currently I have 1 Bass Drum, 2 Toms, 1 Floor, 1 Snare and 2 Cymbal mics setup which takes up all my 8 analog inputs. I want to add an addional mic for both the High Hat , snare and Bass drum as well as area mics for reverb effect. The Motu has the ADAT Lightpipe 8 channel input option but I have never used this type input before. I am guessing through research that I would need an Analog to ADAT converter i.e. Alesis AL-1 or an additional Motu 828 or equivalent. What has your experience been with ADAT inputs? What are the advantages/disadvantages if any of ADAT? Would it be the best option to go with just the ADAT input or would it be better to daisy the Motu 828 and use it's additional 8 analog inputs instead. Thanks in advance.

I've used the ADAT input on my Digi-002R and it works fine. The quality will be based on the quality of the converters and preamps (if offered) in the box you get. The Alesis AI-3 is probably at the low budget end. Higher up RME makes an 8 channel interface. Take a look at an online retailer like Sweetwater for some options.

Also make sure you know how many channels you can feed through ADAT lightpipe at whatever sample rate you're using. I.E. - an adat link (like the one in the 896, which is what I assume you're using, as I don't know about an 898) that takes 8 channels at 44.1/48 will only take 4 at 88.2/96.

Also, I wouldn't get an 828(mkII) just for adat conversion... link that in by firewire, match clock signals, that gives you another 10 analogue inputs, and another 8 (or 4) by ADAT. For $700, that's hard to beat - if that's what you need. But if you just need an adat converter, $700 is *way* more than you need to spend.

There are better pieces suited towards simple adat inputting. The Behringer ADA8000 is one of them. It's cheap, easy, and gives you 8 analogue inputs that it only sends out by 44.1/48khz ADAT. If you're working in those sample rates, it might be a good match for you.

The presonus digimax lt is going to be the best for the money. If all I could afford was the behringer, I would wait and save my money. I don't know anyone who has been happy with the behringer unit.

The presonus has good preamps, convertors, and clock, so it's worth the higher price in my opinion.

Are you recording at 44.1?

Jburn34 said:
The presonus digimax lt is going to be the best for the money. If all I could afford was the behringer, I would wait and save my money. I don't know anyone who has been happy with the behringer unit.

Honestly? Likewise. But i'm not micing drums.

I have heard good reports about people using it specifically for drum micing. It's nothing to write home about, and I'm not about to try it on any acoustic instrument recordings, but I've heard a few people say it's good bang for the buck for overall percussion reinforcement.

Well, besides the low quality sound, they have pretty high error rates. I know a few guys who have preamps/channels that cut in and out. There are definitely situations where it makes sense to buy budget gear...we're all on a budget. Sometimes though you just have to draw a line and decide that something is just poor quality...there's a difference between that and being affordable.

I have not used the behringer unit, so I am going solely on hearsay from other people.

Jburn34 said:
I have not used the behringer unit, so I am going solely on hearsay from other people.

Likewise.

Affleck - go buy the behringer, mic some drums, and tell us if it's crap or not.

Back