Best of the free plugins?

rozsand

I've been looking around for freeware (yes, yes, I'm poor) VST effects plugins to add some versatility to my home studio, but I'm not quite sure which (if any) have a quality reputation. The distortion and compression on my software aren't all that spectacular. :rolleyes:

So far I've just been surfing through www.kvr-vst.com and google, without a whole lot of luck.

Anyone know of some good free plugins? :)

TimOBrien said:

hiya tim,
those plug ins look really great, much cheaper than the ilok ones too! sorry if this is a dumbass question, but what's VST? is it an editing suite? I'll be shortly using pro tools, i'm guessing they're not compatible?

ok, well i've found the answer what a vst is, now i'm just wondering are there any free hosts out there? they appear to be for cubase and other steinberg software. is there any freeware for running vst's?

kanga said:
ok, well i've found the answer what a vst is, now i'm just wondering are there any free hosts out there? they appear to be for cubase and other steinberg software. is there any freeware for running vst's?

Try Spin Audio's demo VST wrapper here http://www.spinaudio.com/products.php?id=27 I think you can use one VST plugin w/ the freebie version. Also w/ a VST-DX wrapper, you can use most VST plugins in Sonar and Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition).

kanga said:

You can use what I do, Audacity. (audacity.sourceforge.net) Totally free audio editing software complete with VST plugin compatability. Between that and KRISTAL (also freeware) I can do all my basic mixing/editing ... just make sure you find good plugins for all the necessities! :)

Last edited:
Back