Best Of The Cheap Ribbons?

Vikki

Just wondering if any of the cheap ribbon mics are worth looking at, mainly to be used for fingerstyle steel string guitar recording.
Superlux R102 seem to get quite good reviews, but there are many more out there any thoughts?
Vikki(uk)

Stick with ones that [at least claim to] have a 2 micron or thinner ribbon - not 6 micron. If you can solder, you can get a replacement transformer (Lundahl 2912, for instance) and drop it into the mic, and with the new transformer, you'll have a mic (I think) you'll be happy with indefinitely, or until you break it, whichever comes first. If you're going this route, the brand isn't so important, I believe, since the cheap ones are coming off the same few assembly lines anyway.

If, on the other hand, you want the best cheap one without intending to put a new transformer in it, maybe somebody else can help - I've never used a Superlux R102 or any other mic that looks like it, btw.

Fingerstyle with a ribbon will always be difficult because of the low sensitivity of the ribbon. You will need the quietest possible preamp, and you'll still have limited signal-to-noise ratio.

Active ribbons like the Superlux might avoid that, but that's entirely dependent upon the circuit they used inside the microphones. They quote a reasonable noise spec, but I'd want to get independent confirmation that is accurate--some other brands' active ribbons have not performed too well in the noise department.

The acoustic guitar sample on their site is black until the guitar starts, then fades quickly at the end. Around 18-19sec, the noise modulates in an unusual fashion. That's a bit curious. Try to get a user review & recording.

Ultimately I think it's easier to get a passive ribbon and a very, very quiet preamp. That preamp will probably be better quality than the circuit inside an active ribbon, unless the active ribbon is really done well.

Re: transformer swaps, an ideal active ribbon will have a highly customized transformer, there isn't likely to be a direct replacement. On the other hand, if they just used a regular ribbon transformer, it isn't likely to be as quiet.

You might consider the rode K2 not a ribbon but a tube omni to figure 8. I've had very good luck with omni on acoustic instruments very natural sounding and I don't have to worry about having to record at high levels and get noise with a ribbon.
But if ribbon is a must take a look at the fathead with the companies up grade to lundahl transformer.

yeah, what mshilarious said -- I looked up the r102, but didn't read far enough to see that it was active.

I have a couple of cheap active ribbons and I don't use them - the integrated preamp is indeed a little noisy, and at least on mine, the manufacturer put black goo over all the little electronic components so that I can't even see what they are, much less attempt to upgrade them. Also, I'm quite sure the transformers are a different ratio from the LL2912, which is intended for a passive ribbon.

Everything I was saying only applies to cheap passive ribbon mics. And yes, you do need a quiet preamp for them. You don't necessarily need a lot of gain (unlike you'll often read), assuming you can boost the gain in your computer, if that's what you're using.

Cascade Fat Head II

Its not my most versatile mic (that would go to my Rode NT2-a's) but damn for what I do use it on, its my best sounding mic. I get some really, really great guitar tones with it.

I was looking at AT's ribbons after Darrin's thread. They are rated 25dBA noise, but AT is extremely conservative in their noise ratings, in my experience. Their 25dBA is like some other manufacturers' 21dBA. They are also using rare-earth magnets, which boost the ribbon output a bit. Some of the Chinese ribbons do, some don't.

Anyway, I doubt a generic brand mic has truly beaten AT's noise performance. 21dBA is usable, just don't get too far away.

I've got an Apex 210 and while I love it for beefing up the low end on some things or for velvety vocal stuff, it's no where near crisp enough for acoustic guitar, especially finger picked stuff. However, in combination with an AT2020 to capture the shimmer it works very well but there are likely a bunch of relatively affordable single mics which could do it better...

Back