best music videos

07_tommy_blu-ray.jpg

I watched 'Muscle Shoals' last night. It was really interesting, but I wouldn't put it in the 'best music film' ever category. I think it was more about the studio and the guys in it than about the music.

I watched Spinal Tap tonight. I wonder what effect laughing for an hour and a half will have on a vocal.

The bigger the cushion the sweeter the pushin’
That’s what I said
The looser the waistband the deeper the quicksand
Or so I have read
My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I like to sink her with my pink torpedo
Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about bumcakes my girl’s got ‘em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

I watched 'Muscle Shoals' last night. It was really interesting, but I wouldn't put it in the 'best music film' ever category. I think it was more about the studio and the guys in it than about the music.

Is that the Storyville one? I loved that documentary and it's a cool story - I think that with Rick Hall being such a central figure in defining the sound and with the continuity of the Swampers being an inhouse band that the guys in the studio and the music are more intertwined than in most recording studios.

There was some more Muscle Shoals footage on an excellent three part series on the BBC last month called Reginald D Hunter's Songs of the South, where he travelled round the southern states tracing the history of the music in each. It was pretty broad based ranging from Dolly Parton to the Chattanooga Choo Choo to Arrested Development, and was as much of a travelogue as a music film, but Reg D is about as engaging a presenter as you're likely to find, so I enjoyed it a lot. Looks like all the episodes are on youtube if you're interested.

Speaking of Spinal Tap reminds me of "Fear of the Black Hat". That really was funny, had almost forgot about that one.

Did you understand it? There are a lot of rock and roll jokes in that movie that might go way over your folk jazzy head.

We'll have to get together over a sixpack some time and you can explain it all to me.

I've showed to everybody I know and I try to shove it under everybody elses nose.
I think I've seen it about a dozen times.

My music teacher in high school showed it to us because he said that he wanted us to see what it's actually like being in the live music business and how demented you'd have to be to make be.

Back