Best music software for Mac?

Cliff K

What's the best? I'll be getting a new Powerbook soon, and would like to get a sense of the software I should run on. I'd like to be able do all stages of the process with the software: record, mix, edit, master, also interface with MIDI hardware and instruments, and also work well with softsynths. I already use a combination of analog 8-trk and a Tascam 788, so I'm looking to add the computer to expand the use and possibility of the studio, ultimately to use any or all of the gear for what ever we need to do. I'll be using an external HDD as the Powerbook's drive is slow. I can get the latest Logic package from Apple for $500 with my educational discount. This is more than I would like to spend, but if Logic's worth it I can swing it, but it doesn't need to be Logic. I think Logic also comes with softsynths, but I don't know much about it.
So, what do you use, what's good?

Thanks,
Cliff

Logic 6.0 for Mac
I've been using it for years.
Very powerful and flexable and plenty of quality native plug ins.
Both Audio and midi....can go very deep and will take a year or 3 to learn it well but certainly a well built and stable program.
Retail is $700

It looks like both Logic and Digital Performer are really good, powerful. Are they significantly different from each other? What sort of things matter when deciding between the two?

Thanks!
Cliff

They do all the same things. It's a Chevy/Ford, Fender/Gibson comparison. You should download the demos and see which interface you like.

Back