Best Motherboard for 1Ghz Athlon T-Bird?

klytus

I'm about to put together a DAW based around Nuendo, I know the 1gig Athlon is the chip for me, but which board is best?

I've heard that the Gigabyte7ZX owns (AMD shipped their demo T-Birds on it) but other people seem to think the Abit K7 is the board-of-choice for a DAW. Are there really big differences between mobos? Any opinions people?

Thanks.

I haven't tried either of those boards. I have built a few systems using the ASUS A7V and found it to be a nice board. Whichever board you choose be sure to check out any incompatabilities with your soundcard and other hardware. Check with both your soundcard and software manufacturer.

I'm on an Asus k7v with 650 Athlon. I'm very sorry to say that I really wish I would have gone with a Pentium due to sound card incompatibilities. I love my setup for other situations, but I'm having a heck of a time with sound cards. I pray that manufacturers starting testing on Athlons and I wish that someone would clarify the dispute regarding the PCI 2.1 spec for future products.

There ya go, that's the kind of info you need!

Thanks for the information jgohman, and sorry about your problems. The intel road is always a safer one. But the Athlon can work with careful selection.

Ok thx for the tips, gonna shoot over to the RME site to check the Hammerfall's preferred motherboards...

I know Nuendo will work like a dream on a T-Bird cos the moderator at the Nuendo site uses one - is that reassuring or what?

Klytus

If I were you, I'd stick with two boards. The Asus A7V or the Abit KT7A. They are both very similar boards, with the 266Mhz FSB and UDMA100. They make the best motherboards...anyone who knows computers will tell you that.

Thx El Barto.

Can't find any info on motherboard compatibility issues for the RME Hammerfall card - anyone got any idea where I could find this info?

Back