Best monitors under $250! (or more)... Yorkville YSM-1

saxman72

Okay, so you know how the RNC is the secret litle steal of a box that everyone on this bbs is finding out about? Well I have to make a similar claim for a pair of monitors that I've wanted for a while and finally got recently.

The Yorkville YSM-1's like the RNC are hard to find and most people don't know/haven't heard of them. These things only cost me $220 for the pair and like the RNC are worth every penny.

There are two things I can say about them that I think complement them the most:

1. I bought these because I heard they had an amazing bass response (and my nice but smaller Tannoys don't). When I first plugged them in, I wasn't sure what to think cuz I didn't immediately notice any increase in the bass. HOWEVER, as I continued to listen to music on them I kept hearing notes that I never heard before! I started to realize that the amazing thing about the bass response was that it extended so low that they didn't have to put a bump in the curve to make you THINK that they put out a lot of bass.

2. Secondly, I think they're great critical listening tools. Great recordings sound fantastic on them and mediocre recordings make me raise an eyebrow or two. As an artist trying to make the best possible recordings I can, I feel like I can trust these to tap me on the shoulder and tell me if something doesn't sound too good. I've heard other people say that mixes they do on these usually sound good anywhere.

Well there. I've been upgrading all parts of my studio and I'm thrilled to have these. Imaging is good, depth of field is great. The good recordings sound 3-D, and when I close my eyes I feel like my studio is bigger than it used to be. The walls seem to disappear! (I guess that's 3 compliments now!)

Well enough with my testimonial gushing! I just want to let all of you know that these things are out there! If you're looking for a 1st or 2nd pair of passive monitors, I seriously recommend these. Just don't expect flashy sound. They're beautiful and natural.

I know Track Rat has a pair of these too, and I've never heard him say a bad thing about 'em either.

Yorkville YSM-1

I think their site is http://www.yorkville.com

saxman72

I'VE been touting those monitors in monitor-related posts since I started on this forum! You're the first person I've seen to mention even knowing about 'em!

What gets me is that people STILL buy NS-10s, yet for half the price you can get those babies!!! Mind you, people still buy the 3630 when the RNC is available.........

:D

Bruce

okay!

checked the site and found a dealer in my area. i'm very curious what the price will be. Due to some strange phenomenom prices change wen calculated in other currency...
for example: the motu 2408mkII differs 200$ from the aark24.
Well here in the netherlands it differs 500$!!! believe it or not ... it's the goddamn truth!

guhlenn

Guhlenn: That's a bummer for you. I hope these aren't too much more over there!

Bruce (and everyone else): Well that makes at least (only?) 3 of us on this bbs. I think some might be less inclined to buy these babies since it's hard to actually find them in a store to listen to. But like the RNC I bought mine on faith and recommendations. And like the RNC I can't believe their price/performance ratio! I've been watching eBay for almost a year to find these used and I never saw them for sale (which also speaks volumes about them)! We've all benefitted by finding out about the RNC. I think that the people on this bbs should also know about these Yorkvilles. :> At any price they are great studio monitors. At $220 it's just stupid! I think we save/benefit from their lack of advertising expenses.

saxman72

>>Mind you, people still buy the 3630 when the RNC is available......... << (Bruce)

It makes me smile to know I can still get $100+ for my 3630 on eBay! :>

congrats saxman,

so you say they are better than your Tannoys?

Are those the tannoy reveals? if that is the case, then they must be really good cos I know dragon has a pair of reveals and he likes them

So does anybody want a pair of NS10ms? Bvaleria, YOU can have them for only $300 :D

by the way, I saw a comparison that involved the yorkvilles, and even though they were rated high, I did not believe it cos I thought it was like advertising or something. Now I have to go find the comparison again.

Did you day $220. Wow

When I decided to post a reply, I intended on posting the smart-ass "Really? Do you know what's the best mic for under 50$", but now, after seeing the posts I am humbled in asking "Where do they sell these monitors?"
rj

I got mine from http://www.thesoundconnection.com They're primarily a live sound company in SoCal but they also do retail. Their website is kinda primitive but you can e-mail or call them.

You can also go to http://www.yorkville.com and click "distribution" in the left side column to find a dealer close to home.

If you click "reviews" you'll find a couple of links to reviews on them.

My Tannoys are older PBM5II's (older than the Reveals anyway). I've never heard a bad pair of Tannoys, but these are pretty small. I've done a lot of good work on them but sometimes I find myself mixing with too much bass (adding frequencies below the scope of what they can produce).

I find myself coming home and putting all kinds of CD's through the Yorkvilles just to hear what they sound like. Tonight it's Peter Gabriel's "So". The other night it was Garbage's "Version 2.0" that blew me away and prompted me to write the original post. It's fun to listen to music I know and feel like I'm listening to them for the first time again!

Saxman72

Oh yeah, and the best mic for under $50 is the Shure BG1.1. :> (actually I don't know. I'm just talking out of my ass)

:eek: Hey Cyan...

We lost those wood "wedge" thingies used to keep doors open.... I'll buy your NS-10s and use 'em for that!!! :D

Bruce :)

I ordered a set from a local guy and they should be here today or Monday. I'm really looking foreward to hearing them.

bv,

I am still ROFL.

but did you know, I've been looking for those wedgie thingies too. I'll just pop an ns10m in it's place.
talk about wow factor when friends come in and see me using ns10ms as doorstops. :D :D :D

H2H,

Sounds good! I hope you like them as much as I do. I know Bruce and Track Rat agree with me on these. Let us know what you think when you get them!

saxman72

Hmmm...
I have to admit I'm using a decent amp (Hafler 1500) and I don't know how they'd sound using anything else. The Samson Servo amps seem to be a pretty good deal (if they still make them), but I'm not sure how good they are.

I'm kind of in the market for an inexpensive pair of monitors. These sound good, and, like everyone else here, I had never seen them before.

One quick question, are these magnetically shielded, so I can put them near my monitor without getting any weirdness? :)

Thanks much!!! Gonna go shop around a bit for these right now.

I'm not sure if they're shielded or not but, I have mine less than a foot and a half from my monitor and I don't have any problems with them.

Saxman72

Cool. I found them at a place for $209. I may definitely consider these. I'll see what the return policy is, in case (I doubt, but just in case) I think they suck. ;)

Has anyone heard these compared to the Tannoy Reveals, which are about $329 for the non-powered monitors?

Man!

See! Isn't that an unreal price? I think it might lead people to think they suck, but they definitely don't! Not a bad idea to check on the return policy though since everyone's tastes are different.

Yeah, I'd love to hear how they compare head on with the passive Reveals and 20/20s.

But really, when you listen to them, you'll never think you're listening to an inexpensive pair of monitors.

saxman72

Actually... I'll keep you updated, but I may have found a used pair for a ridiculously low price.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Back