Best Monitor System for Tiny Studio

beatlebum

Hi, I'm new here and new to studio set-ups and equipment so please bear with me!

I've just converted my tiny attic (probably 8ft square at floor level and 6 ft tall at the apex!) into a studio space and I want to get some decent monitors that wont cost an arm and a leg. Given the size of the room I don't need too much power and I have a Mackie Big Knob if that's any use to me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I've been too broad, and having read SouthSIDE Glen's very informative rules of thumb on mixing room acoustics I know monitors are only half of the issue but I'd be very grateful for some pointers on suitable monitors. I'm thinking active monitors would probably make sense in a small room.

Anyone?

Thanks for he reply. They sound like good monitors for the price from what I've read since your post however, 70w HF/LF seems a lot of amplification for my purposes. I was looking at the KRK rokit 5 - a fair bit cheaper but much less powerful: 15w HF and 30w LF. Are they any good?

I know nothing about acoustics but, from reading other posts, I'm guessing that a smaller room will be a bit of a bass trap, and more so if it has lots of angles like my attic room, so, would it be correct to say that i want a monitor that can put a good distance between HF & LF amplification, ie. one that lets me turn the bass right down???

Mind you, on a budget the M AUDIO BX5A is very tempting - slightly more than half the price of the KRKs and good reviews - no eq control though. Is this a case of you get what you pay for?

It was a tight call between the KRKs and the Yamaha HS50M but in the end I went for the KRKs - largely thanks to Phil's understated comments! I'm really happy with them. Now let's hope my mixing improves!

no eq control though. Is this a case of you get what you pay for?

U don't need eq on your monitors, U want them 2 be flat response. The only eq that u want 2 hear is what u add 2 it in your program. My very first pair of monitors had eq's on them and I always kept them at 0, that way whatever I heard was what I did in my mixing software.

U don't need eq on your monitors, U want them 2 be flat response. The only eq that u want 2 hear is what u add 2 it in your program. My very first pair of monitors had eq's on them and I always kept them at 0, that way whatever I heard was what I did in my mixing software.

The eq hasn't moved off 0 since I got them - Before i bought them I thought I might need to compensate for my room acoustics - I guess 'cos the're nearfield the room acoustics are'nt an issue. - Except perhaps at louder volumes

Back