Best Mixer for me?

wtfuhz

5 dollar loud blunts
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a new mixer. I'd like to know which mixers give the highest quality recording for up to $1200, OR maybe a little higher. I'll be recording mostly acoustic instruments, vocals, and stuff like that. Early thanks for the help! :D

In this day and age you can do all of your mix in the box unless you want the fell of the analog board. I know I do!
I was able to pick up a used Yamaha PM1800 before it had it's channel modules torn out for singular or group purchases think I paid around $850 for it. It's a monster! Great preamps and EQ section. The sliders feel as though your pushing an ice cube across a hot wood stove - just as smooth as glass.
Great consoles are out there for cheap.
Best thing about using a console is the monitor mix possibilities choices between a few then the headphone mixes! Summing is equally as fun!

Given some of the other threads here at the moment, I'm just here to see who starts a Kenwood v. Rubber Maid debate in this one...:D

your going to get a mixer AND an interface? How do you plan on recording? With a DAW?

Read the NOOBS and INTRO to computer multitracking threads at the top of this section of the forum before buying anything.

You need an audio interface if you are going to be recording to a computer.

I'm using StudioOne 2 Pro. I'm sure i'd need a mixer to record drums and possibly the band at the same time. I'd also use it sometimes for live shows and practices with my own band.

Ohh and I forgot to mention that I'll definitely use a mixer to record several acoustic instruments at once. I think that should be enough reason to get a mixer =)

The problem with using a mixer for recording is that once you have recorded the mixed tracks, you cannot adjust/change the individual instruments. It is much preferred to use an interface with as many inputs/outputs as you need for recording at one time.
The money you earmarked for a mixer would be better spent on an interface with more channels.

I understand your point. You're completely correct but then that would change my question to which preamps are the best for my situation.

That's a valid choice - 8 preamp-ed inputs. You'll do better to keep your live playing and recording set-ups separate. There are lots of mixers out there without USB (or with just 2-channel USB) that will work for you live.

Thanks a whole bunch! I've got my eyes on a mackie cfx16. maybe I could downsize it since I'd have 8 ins on the interface and then use the money for something else

I got a Mackie ProFX12, just for home use - I needed a way to plug everything in so I wasn't switching cables all the time, but it could definitely serve as a live mixer, with 6 preamps plus 2 more stereo channels, monitor and main outputs, etc.

Back