best mic setup and selection

Brokenbeep

Hello everyone, I'm going to be recording an evening of spoken word, poetry and storytelling in a little local theatre. The actual stage space measures Width:8m Length:4m, so not massive. I am looking at the best recording options, in particular the best stereo mic setup for this. I am stuck between a x/y and a/b micing strategy - any comments on this would be appreciated, in particular I wonder how much phase cancellation I would get in a space this big using a/b, and how much reduction in stereo image I might get using x/y? Should I position the mics low to the ground or at head height? Also does anyone have any suggestions for suitable mics that could be employed? Any help would be massively appreciated!

I recently bought a Rode Nt4 and used that to record my sons playing with a bluegrass band. What I wanted was just what you are saying; some stereo presence in the recording. I am limited in how much time I have to set up the mic and it can not be to distracting on the stage. So with the rode I don't have to do anything but get it up there in a decent spot and then the stereo is taken care of automatically. If you look on Amazon for the Rode Nt4 you can hear the mic and see where I placed it on the stage to get the sound I got. Which I thought was the best sound I ever got live. Or, I have them on KPearlyedition on you tube. Put it on full screen and you can see the mic on it's own stand just behind the main condenser mic. For what you are saying I think suspended up above would be best.
It seems that the big draw back to this mic, besides being heavy, is the price. I think most people don't want to spend that much for a mic. I didn't care because I all ready wasted a bunch of money on cheap stuff that didn't work right.
And I don't work for Rode and don't get anything from them, I am just trying to show people the results I got with that particular mic. Doug

Are the mics only for recording the actual pieces performed, or to 'capture the event'. Are the performers going to be miced for the theater sound system? If you want a clear recording of each person, a clip-on mic (like used in tv studios) is preferable to room mics, where you will get variations in volume and intelligibility depending on the person's movements and vocal styles.

If you want a clear recording of each person, a clip-on mic (like used in tv studios) is preferable to room mics, where you will get variations in volume and intelligibility depending on the person's movements and vocal styles.

to me, this is a must. if you then blend this with a stereo pair you can have that nice, open, sound in a room but with the consistency in volume from the performer.

I've used the NT4 a lot for stereo room mic's for choirs, string sections, and in a live space to add some real ambience and really like it. it is a touch on the pricy side but the fixed XY does make placement much quicker and gives a really good focused sound. as you said, XY won't give you a wide a stereo spread as a spaced pair but do you really need a really wide stereo image? surely the performers are in one spot and the main focus of the sound so i'd suggest trying to get a more focused image rather than a wide one.

as far as positioning in terms of height, it really all depends but it in this kind of situation i'd say shoulder/head height and a clear line of sight to the performer

Back