best mic pre on the cheap

southpark

im getting a presonus firebox thing and need to get preamps to utilize the line input channals....heres the catch, i only have $150 to spend on two($75 for each input)
Please help
thanks,
Dan

I've only had a few at that price and the used Joe Meek VC3..version?......has been a really noticeable improvement, its more a channel strip.
used ones are around $150...

The only uber-cheap preamp I'd ever want to be saddled with is M-Audio's DMP3. No usable headroom (nothing in that price range really does anyway), but not a bad sounding unit.

what about building one. ive seen a few kits online(trust me im capable of puting one together) do they sound good,anyone know.

Thanks for all the responses
Dan

im getting a presonus firebox thing and need to get preamps to utilize the line input channals....heres the catch, i only have $150 to spend on two($75 for each input)
Please help
thanks,
Dan

have you tried some plug-ins in your daw?

this can often be better than cheap gear.

if you have enough volume/gain, maybe a vst will help add some quality to your tracks.

many of these are free....blockfish and others

digitalfishphones.com - free audio effects plugins

your right... op was "to utilize the Line Inputs".

have to agree with the DMP3, its 2qty preamps and exactly at $150 mark.
I wonder how many DMP3's this site ha helped sell? sure comes up a lot over the years...

I had a friend in the same boat and he got one of the smaller Yamaha series MG mixers and used the insert out to run into his interface. It actually worked pretty well. Nothing spectacular, but better than some cheap crap. You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap.

I think this was the one he got.

GuitarCenter

I have on of those Yammie's, and they're pretty quiet actually, well built imo
...and enough gain for a SM57.

They used to recommend that mixer going to a stock soundcard years ago... before all the interfaces. Sons using it for the bands small practice mixer now.

Another vote for the DMP3 in that price range. Also, the Peavey PV series mixers are cheap (maybe I should have said inexpensive) and sound pretty good.

The only uber-cheap preamp I'd ever want to be saddled with is M-Audio's DMP3. No usable headroom (nothing in that price range really does anyway), but not a bad sounding unit.

The M-Audio DMP3 is certainly OK for the $$... pretty neutral sounding if that's what you want...

Back