Best Mic for My Voice?

Krush411

Hey experts,

I have a thin(not deep)and somewhat high voice. It is not deep at all. I am recording rap type vocals(although conscience rap, not what you hear on the radio)

Because of this I have 2 questions. Based on my voice, which of these mics would be best for me, the Shure SM7b or the EV 20? Any explanation why would be very helpful.

Also, since both of these mics require a decent amp with lots of gain, I need to ditch my Mobile Pre USB and get a much better preamp. My budget is 600 dollars for a preamp, and one that is firewire or USB. What for that amount would go to the above recommended mic?

You can hear what my voice sounds like at my soundclick page-
www.soundclick.com/krush

Any help offered is very much appreciated-thanks for your time.

I'm partial to the SM7b ever so slightly over the RE20. Others are partial the other way. Either is a great mic.

On the preamp... You can plug any preamp into the line-ins on your MobilePre. If you want a monster, go with the True P-Solo. Grace's m101 would be very high on that (very short) list also, as would FMR's RMP (probably the greatest sub-$500 dual-channel unit out there).

If I go with the preamp you suggested and plug it into my Mobile Pre will it lose any of its quality since its running through the Pre and is there any delay that goes with it since the signal has to run through the Mobile Pre?

And will the SM7b be good for a thinner voice without causing too much sibilance?

Preamps like those are very uncolored and unflattering...if you dont love your voice like an opera singer...Id suggest something that is more colored...the mic choices are fine...and I think the SM7b is going to be better just based on price difference...get a Neve clone or something that will make you sound less thin.

Preamps like those are very uncolored and unflattering...if you dont love your voice like an opera singer...Id suggest something that is more colored...the mic choices are fine...and I think the SM7b is going to be better just based on price difference...get a Neve clone or something that will make you sound less thin.

You think SM7b will be ok even tho my voice has alot of sibilance? And is there not any good firewire or usb preamps in the 500-600 dollar range?

I keep forgetting about Golden Age's Pre73 (a "poor man's Neve 1073" clone). Nice unit. Freakishly cheap (around $300).

To the interface -- You're not going through the MP's preamp going line-in -- That's direct to the converters. You need a preamp, you need converters. If those are the same unit or not.

Side-noting -- You could easily grab a Cascade Fat Head along with that and still stay well within your $$$ limits... Not that the 7b would be bad...

I keep forgetting about Golden Age's Pre73 (a "poor man's Neve 1073" clone). Nice unit. Freakishly cheap (around $300).

To the interface -- You're not going through the MP's preamp going line-in -- That's direct to the converters. You need a preamp, you need converters. If those are the same unit or not.

Side-noting -- You could easily grab a Cascade Fat Head along with that and still stay well within your $$$ limits... Not that the 7b would be bad...

Ok, so from what your saying-I could just plug the Golden Age Pre73 into my MP Preamp-plug the MB Preamp into my USB slot on my computer and be good to go? What converters do I need to buy to make this work?

A) Yes and no - The MP *HAS* converters. By plugging into the LINE INPUT (not the mic input) you're using those converters and not the preamp.

B) Maybe, maybe not. But you're probably not going to find an appreciably better converter to go with it in that price range. Just use the ones you have at this point.

Back