Best mic for male rap/rnb vocals?

jeap said:
i saw phil keaggy on tv yesterday. he appeared to be singing into an EV cobalt mic onstage. a good plug for EV.

:)

I have never heard a cobalt series mic. Aren't they to EV what PG series mics are to Shure? CHeap mics with a EV tag on them?

F.S.

thanks for the legit responses this time :) didn't mean to get all angry and ish...just really tryin' to get as professional of a sound as possible with the money I got...

I don't yell into the mic...I didn't mean that, I'm not one of those types of artists...but I do have a more aggressive voice. I do kno of artists working with a Shure SM58...

reading into these posts...its interesting to hear that about condensors...hmm...I will look into musicians friend...

Hey I'm not a rapper, but I certanly yell into my 3035 at times. I just don't go out of my way to make huge P, B and D sounds.
If you start your lines with your lungs not your lips it's really no problem.

It did take some while for me to get the gain worked out on the 3035 but now it's cake.

Condensors are more picky about maintaning proper distance than a dynamic, but that's just life. A condensor would sure outshine a 58 for r&b vocals. Maybe the 3035 won't be right for you, but it does have one of the highest spl ratings in it's price range.

f.s.

To elaborate on the C3000b issue, the previously mentioned hyped high end can make you sound like you have a lisp. And with rap that would not be a cool thing. I hear they could work well for female vocalists, though.

Freudian Slip said:

I have never heard a cobalt series mic. Aren't they to EV what PG series mics are to Shure? CHeap mics with a EV tag on them?

F.S.

hey yo man r u dishing me?

aight u better hope not.

the list prices are similar to the n/dyns.

the co4 has an unusual shape similar to a 57 and thats the one i saw. lists for 150 and probly goes for around the same price as the 57.

they are supposed to be a "cheaper" mic although i dont think they supposed to be a low performance mic like some of the "cheapie" series shure or akg.

i havent tried them although i'd like to. of course i'd like to try all the mics...

:)

That's Right I'm whipping out a king size salad bowl on yo ass:D
and after yo tossed and oiled I'm gonna lay you out so's ya look good.......real gooooood........

NO I just wonder if they mics compare for the price diff?
I think you can get an old N/D257b for what? $90.00.... Mine has been sung into night after night for years and still kicks ass. And I tend to splatter them good:)

I would not know if the cobalt's are good or not either. Perhaps they have a career in live backup singing. I think I would step up for a N/D mic or something else if it was going to be my "go to mic".

F.S.

I HAVE an EV C09!
Works quite well for me although it has a funky frequency response.
So...
If you have a voice with mellow "mids" and a bright "top" it
should work well too.

For screamers or if I want to sing a ballad live, the Beyer Soundstar MKII sounds excellent and is resistant to popping.
Got two off e-bay recently, one of them will saunter off to ebay
pretty soon. (just had to make sure I got ONE as they were
sold in a "Dutch" auction there!)
Harvey Gerst has remarked they sound somewhat similar to
Shure SM7's (a $300+ microphone new)

Chris

My 2 Cents. I use a Studio Projects C-1 Condensor mic. It's a large diapraghm mic that is Cardiod only. I've recorded R-n-B and alternative music on it. I like the sound of it. People who have reviewed it say it soundslike the old Neuman U-47??? I could be wrong on that one. But it's supposed to sound like a vintage Neuman. Does it sound like one? I couldn't tell you. I don't really know. All I do know is that i'm happy with it and it works for me.

Plus it was pretty cheap at about $230 with shipping.

Hope this helps.

rgevol

rgevol said:
People who have reviewed it say it soundslike the old Neuman U-47??? I could be wrong on that one. But it's supposed to sound like a vintage Neuman. Does it sound like one? I couldn't tell you. I don't really know. All I do know is that i'm happy with it and it works for me.

Yes, it does sound exactly like a U47. Should you ever get a U47, don't even bother trying it out. Just send it to me and I will send you 10 C1's in return. Now c'mon, admit it - you couldn't ask for a sweeter deal!

re: mics

Hey,

I happen to live in Ithaca so I just thought I'd let you know that there are some larger retailers nearby where you can try out the various mics suggested here. There's Daddy's music near Syracuse that specializes in used gear and Guitar Center in Rochester. I haven't actually been to either yet but I'm planning some road trips soon to check them out.

Also, I have a Studio Projects C1 and a Cad E100 (both inexpensive cardiod condensers...oK the Cad's an electret, I know) and the C1 sounds waaaaaay different and IMHO way better and it cost $100 less. So, there's something to be said for listen before you buy. I should be getting my SP VTB-1 pre tomorrow. I think I'm becoming a Studio Projects junkie.

Good luck on the mic search,

Sean Kobuk

Back