Best materials to use?

Muddy T-Bone

What is the best acoustic treatment for the wall directly behind my monitors. The first reflection point?

Is the Auralex wedge shaped product out of foam a good choice?

I plan to install a cloud on the ceiling above my monitors as well what is a good material here? 703 or 705?

The room is 166" x 178" and is a tracking and mixing room.

When I'm done treating the room will have bass traps in 3 corners, ( a bookshelf will be in 1 corner) spot treatments on reflection points, and likely a cloud over my vocal gobo.

I prefer to build myself.

Yes, OC 703 or 705 is best, Roxul AFB next. 4" thick minimum on corner traps, 2" on first reflection point traps and clouds.
Do your monitors have rear ports? If so, then 4" thick traps behind them would be best, I believe. use the foam wedges behind your corner traps.

Last edited:
Yes, OC 705 or 705 is best, Roxul AFB next. 4" thick minimum on corner traps, 2" on first reflection point traps and clouds.
Do your monitors have rear ports? If so, then 4" thick traps behind them would be best, I believe. use the foam wedges behind your corner traps.

MJB-

I take it you mean use either 703 or 705 right? That sounds counterintuitive to me on the use of that material for first reflection points. My logic is the high frequencies would not scatter in various directions off the surface of the textile that covers the insulation.

I second what mike is stating, are you looking for DIFFUSION?

That is another option, but 703 /705 would be the most common approach.

forget the foam. utilize what u have behind the traps, as stated. Otherwise, don't buy any.

MJB-

I take it you mean use either 703 or 705 right? That sounds counterintuitive to me on the use of that material for first reflection points. My logic is the high frequencies would not scatter in various directions off the surface of the textile that covers the insulation.

Yes, 703/705.

The first reflection points need to have traps because it is these places that cause reflections to other locaiotns in the room - kill 'em where they start.

Back