Best Material to mount Foam on?

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question... I'm moving into a new apartment and I don't want to hammer a bunch of holes into the walls to hang up my studio foam. I was thinking about mounting them on something but i was just wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions on a material that will not only work well as far as mounting the foam is concerned, but also help with deadening the sound a tad bit so the neighbors wont hate me.... as much!

I know I will never kill the sound coming out of the apartment but if I can help stop some of the sound from leaking into the apartment next door that would be great.

PS: My foam are in big sheets like 4x6 pieces. Thanks!

The foam will do very little to stop heavy bass from penetrating walls.

As for mounting foam without holes (I assume you don't want to use adhesive on the walls), glue the foam to a piece of mounting board, and use that poster-mounting clay stuff, or if the foam is too heavy, attach plastic framing wire (that fishing-line type stuff) to the poster and hang from a single hook.

i was just wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions on a material that will not only work well as far as mounting the foam is concerned, but also help with deadening the sound a tad bit so the neighbors wont hate me.... as much!
Ok, first off, FORGET any soundproofing effects of a backing material. Low frequency simply diffracts around them and flanks through the walls, ceilings, floors and HVAC. With that in mind, your best bet for a backing material is FOAM BOARD or thin plywood. FOAM board is a rigid, lightweight, easily cut material found at any picture framing business. Its cheap and easy to workwith. You can spray an adhesive to mount the absorption foam to it, and use stick on picture frame wall pins. These are made by 3M and are designed to be removable from the wall at a later date with no damage or holes.
fitZ

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Ok, first off, FORGET any soundproofing effects of a backing material. Low frequency simply diffracts around them and flanks through the walls, ceilings, floors and HVAC. With that in mind, your best bet for a backing material is FOAM BOARD or thin plywood. FOAM board is a rigid, lightweight, easily cut material found at any picture framing business. Its cheap and easy to workwith. You can spray an adhesive to mount the absorption foam to it, and use stick on picture frame wall pins. These are made by 3M and are designed to be removable from the wall at a later date with no damage or holes.
fitZ

Hi Rick,

Yeah I wasnt counting on any heavy duty soundproofing of any sorts, just trying to be as polite to the neighbors as possible.. lol. I'll go look around for that foam board though, thanks a million!

Back