best low priced all around electric to have in studio

Good question. After many years of session work and different guitars, I find that I rely mostly on my semi-acoustic (thin-body) Guild Starfire IV. I've had better guitars for jazz or rock or country, but I'm able to use that one Guild for nearly anything if I take the time to change the strings, tweak the guitar/amp settings, and modify my playing style. Even a decent lower-priced model could do the trick.

J.

aberyClark said:
I currently have a Gibson ES125 (1950's) archtop electric. I use this for all my electric guitar needs on my tracks. I'm not a great guitar player...but can piece together pretty much anything I need. My music is not Guitar focused. I also have an acoustic. Anyway, the Gibson sounds great...but it is fat and is showing its age (noisy p-90), hard to keep in tune, etc. What would be a good all around guitar? I will always use the Gibson when needed. But, would like to get a solid body. The ES125 does have "that" Gibson sound. Would a Mexican tele or strat compliment my sound options? PRS? Epiphone SG, les Paul? Opinions please. I'm also curioius about the Hofner Colorama (chinease) for $199.00

If you're interested in sub-$200 Chinese stuff... you might also consider the Johnson DeSoto. Alnico pickups (single coil), reportedly designed by EMG (not sure who actually built 'em, though).

Feels well built, though I think I'm gonna replace the strings with something heavier. The stock strings bend too easily for my taste (but they don't suck like I would have expected).

Johnson guitars home page

Back