Best Low-Cost Mic Pre; and some other questions

parkbirds

I'm looking to get a mic pre, I have been using a MTI "tubes" guitar pedal (ha ha) for a while, it sounds pretty good to tell you the truth, it's just noisy and dirty.

Well, I'm looking to get something between $0-400 but more in terms of $100-200. I'm using a Behringer 1604A which is just garbage, I hate it..... So would it be better just to buy a Soundcraft mixer or something with decent pre's and eq's instead of a preamp?

I guess I'm just trying to see what will improve my sound the most for under $400.

Midiman Audio Buddy
Delta DMP3
Studio Projects VTB1
Joe Meek MQ3

that would cover your $200 and under options.....

one additional question would be how many channels of preamp do you need, when considering whether to buy a mixer or just preamps.....

Gidge said:
one additional question would be how many channels of preamp do you need, when considering whether to buy a mixer or just preamps.....

I would need 4 at the most. I just work with tracking one thing at a time, but most likely just 2 for stereo. So does this effect anything? As long as I have 4 stereo channels for my ADAT, I would really only need 4 mono channels. I could go up to $500.

Those mic pres look good. I like the Joe Meek one especially; What do you people think of the ART Pro MPA mic pre? (I.E. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8169816933/search/g=home/detail/base_id/42061 ?)

Thanks.

parkbirds said:
What do you people think of the ART Pro MPA mic pre?

Although I don't own one, I have researched mic pres on this forum extensively. Most people don't seem to be real impressed with the ART pres.

For a 2 channel pre a lot of people like the FMR RNP at just under $500.

If you need more than 2 channels I'd go with 2 DMP3's or a DMP3 and the VTB1 or the JoeMeek.

with your ADAT setup I'd go with a mixer.
I use a Mackie. I think it is a good board. The pre's sound way better than my DMP-2, which is like an audio buddy and the precursor to the DMP-3. Soundcraft would be a good choice too, although i don't have any first hand experience with them.

Back